Lucky turning

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
I took the dog out on monday for her morning walk and being a little fed up of doing the normal circuit i decided to try a different route. I came across these and couldn't believe my eyes, there are loads of them and i will definitely be going back for a few more. The one second from the left is my wifes stick, (found at one of the meets). The one on the right hand side is going to be mine, i've carved the shaft down a little and i'm thinking of carving two celtic bands around the top and bottom of the wider handle and maybe a leather handle or knurling, after i've let it season for a few months. I haven't decided which yet.

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/7155/curlysticks002.jpg

Last edited:

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Nice find.

I have been making sticks for a while now and havent yet found anything that has a natural twist.

Craig

Tilia

Forager
Feb 3, 2011
netherlands
verry nice, i make them my self to (see honeysuckle staff topic)
they r verry straight, did you steam them an bend the straight, or where they that straight when you found them?

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
the second from the left .......my wifes stick.......was a little bent at the top and all i did to straighten it was to leave it on a radiator for a few hours straightening it a little at a time, all the others were as they are in the pic

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've got a couple of those staffs too, found them in the UK and brought them over here to France with me. Everyone I show here in France look at them in total wonder, often asking if I twisted them myself.

So I set off into the woods to see if I could find something similar. Took me several walks and a very tired dog later but I found only one and that wasn't a good example either. They must not have the right type of bindweed here.

Nice find mate. One of the tricks I used to straighten them was to gaffer tape one to a piece of 2 x 2 and let it "set" as it seasons.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with them, assuming they stay in your possession based on the amount of PMs you seem to have been sent LOL!

Tilia

Forager
Feb 3, 2011
netherlands
its hard for me to go in to the woods and not see them anymore
several people on the dutch forum r walking with one of my sticks now :)
some found there own by now

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
Nice onw Andy keep us updated with progress im yet to start my first one i got a bit of hazle in the garage just waiting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE