Lowe alpine sting in black?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
I am thinking about getting the lowe alpine sting but I'm not crazy about the camo design, is it possible to get this in black or some colour?

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
They're available in Olive (though you have to look for it, but rare) - not sure about black.

EDIT:
Beaten to it - shows I have to click refresh, after I came back modding another thread ...

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
Thanks guys, is there an alternative rucksack I could get as good as that one, just in case I can't find one in green?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm a bit confused here. I understand the desire for some to avoid DPM or camo as they don't want to look military or tacticool. But why would they then want black which is a SWAT color? Isn't that an even more pretentious look? As well as transferring more heat to the pack contents?

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Karrimor is an option, though I personally find them less comfortable. The 45 mentioned above doesn't have an adjustable backlength - in case that's a 'must have' in case you're tall.

I'm a bit confused here. I understand the desire for some to avoid DPM or camo as they don't want to look military or tacticool. But why would they then want black which is a SWAT color? Isn't that an even more pretentious look? As well as transferring more heat to the pack contents?

Overhere (the Netherlands) you're not that much looked upon when wearing / carrying DPM or camo. Black is a pretty standard all round color here. For the UK it might have some 'wannabee' SAS (Iranian embassy, etc.) connotation, but not that much. SWAT isn't that big a thing in Europe as in the US I reckon. Overhere they wear dark / night blue instead of black.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
My best bet may be to contact Lowe Alpine directly, other options,
1.Buy the camo and learn to like it
2.Buy the camo and try to dye it a different colour.
3.Buy the camo and use a rain cover.

I find black to be a pretty safe colour to enable me to blend in.

Kwaidan

Jan 4, 2012
S.E. London

The average person here would not relate all black to any military/police use. Same as Ahjno says about the Netherlands, it's just a plain colour over here.

The Olive sting is a lovely looking pack, but as said very rare and fetch a premium price 2nd hand.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Walk into most outdoor shops, Black Rucksacks are common although normally big brands.

Not over here; although grey is fairly common. Black gear is common in police shops and biker shops though. Fair enough if it's not the same association over there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE