Lovikka mitts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
So in the pursuit of learning new things I have turned my attention to the making of mitts and socks, even if I was an utter failure with these thing when I last tried (during school waaay back when...)

I wanted to try my hand at making traditional Lovikka mitts. So with some google-fu i found some instructional vids at Youtube. Mommy dearest have been very helpful as well....

open

open

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bza6zoWd1ZJCQTNHZ3pBLUlQcnc&authuser=0
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bza6zoWd1ZJCSUZGWWFDRUVMWUk&authuser=0

So....i have almost completed the left glove and besides the fading feeling of being Knapsu, think this is rather fun and rewarding - You can do it indoors and it yields a warm result.

The aestethics of the mitts will hopefullt improve with practise.

Happy New Year!

//Greger

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well done :D

I think knitting is a vastly under-rated skill, I really do.

Socks, boot liners, mitts, wristwarmers, vests, gloves, hats, scarves, cowls, all make life very comfortable when it's perishing cold.

If you make them too large, and then felt things like mitts, you'll make them windproof too :)

M

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
excellent stuff, one day I'm going to learn to knit (it'll be quicker and more productive than nagging mrsTallM to do the knitting for me).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
In the past professional knitters were men. They were quicker and their work was tighter.
There are some superb examples of knitted tapestries as well as clothing, that they made.
Sailors and lighthousekeepers were all known to knit their own clothing pieces too, and in wartime menfolks who could repair and create new were appreciated.
Now it's most often seen as a domestic/housewifely thing, but it's really not; it's a very practical skill.

There are men-only classes being set up in London because of the rise of the appeal in learning this skill, and there are dozens of sites out there too.
http://knittingdoc.wordpress.com/when-knitting-was-a-manly-art/
http://www.menwhoknit.com/community/

M

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I remember reading in a Dales folk museum how the (male) lead miners would knit socks for the navy on the way to and from work. You'd have to have the balls off of several brass monkey to tell them it was women's work.
When my left hand heals up a bit I'll have to nag mrs Tall to teach me. Bit tricky to knit with only 1 and 1/2 hands.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Lovely work!

I've tried to learn a couple of times but have some sort of mental block despite the best efforts of some patient folk. Thankfully the other half is good at such things!

My grandad used to knit, he started off underground but ended up minding the boilers for the cage etc so he could do it, or make rag rugs, while he watched the gauges etc. I regret nothing was kept after he died although it was probably all used to destruction.

ATB

Tom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
For a change, we're colder than Scandinavia !

The thermometer in my back garden reads -3.2 just now, though the one in that's sitting with the Sun shining on it is at -1.7.

It's a beautiful day here though :D

M

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Hehe...

So for the right hand mitt, I was given somewhat stern instructions to use less brute force by my mother. As one always should listen to mothers, I did as told. There was a result...from the same starting setup in both cases I got a pair that were somewhat Jekyll-and-Hydish...

DSC_0105_zpsxx23mcxw.jpg

The bigger one is better so the left hand puppet will have to go...I will attempt to make a new one, but I am a bit worried about the size of that one...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's like writing; with a little practice you find your own tension, your own 'style'. The third one's most likely to turn out like your second one :)

You should have seen the difference in the first pair of socks I knitted on five pins :eek: :eek:
My Granny just laughed, and told me what I've just told you.

M

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Knitting might just be a numbers game...if I do enough mitts, I will eventually have a matching set :)

...but I think your granny is right, though..

Last edited:

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Finally completed.

The new left glove came in ok in size.

Traditionally, the mitts are decorated (embroidered somewhat... in sharp colours) as well as combed (do not know the proper term for it) and I did so too.

To get the exact right tactical feel, I used black thread for embroidery and I took a small steel brush to the mitts.

The final result:
DSC_0108_zpsrqgorlxv.jpg

DSC_0110_zpsduf2cjyv.jpg

Some conclusions:
It is not that hard. Anyone can do it.
It was a surprisingly fast project.
Cheap: less than 15 €
Fun!!

Last edited:

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
The first ever Lovikka (around 1892) mitt was actually a failure - the customer didn't want them as they were too tough and hard. In an attempt to make then softer, Erika Aittamaa washed them and used a carding comb...and it was kind of successful. So the story goes.

However, in my family, the washing never caught on..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE