lots of burdock...

caswcc

May 5, 2010
kent
out walking this evening along the river and i saw the biggest patch of burdock i've ever seen.. there were about thirty plants at least half of them were about six foot tall and the rest were pretty big... has anyone else seen big amounts of it??

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Never seen a burdock plant since I knew you could eat it :(

Anyone got some real-life pictures? I always find plants look different from what you see in the books!

May 6, 2010
uk
www.coastalsurvival.com
Here is a bit of an article from a mag I used to write for:

About the plants.
Dandelion and burdock -
The root of the Burdock is much priced by the Chinese and Japanese cultures and served sometimes simply fried. The combination of the dandelion with the burdock makes both a refreshing and cleansing drink, a powerful diuretic that can help cleans the liver. It also benefit’s the skin and the complexion and is even reputed to check against hair loss!

Dandelion and Burdock drink -
Grate, chop, smash or liquidise, twice as much Burdock to Dandelion root, both washed and scrubbed first. For two every table spoon of root pulp you will need 500 grams of sugar and 4 pints of water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes allow to cool and add the juice and rind of a lemon and a tea spoon of dried yeast. Cover pan with a clean cloth and leave in a warm room for 3 days to work away. Strain through a clean cloth and transfer into clean bottles and loosely place caps or corks until fermentation has finished and seal. Store in a cool room or refrigerator and drink with in 3 months.

Styr fried burdock roots -
Wash and peel the burdock roots and slice quite finely, using a potato peeler works and creates nice thin strips. Mix a little Soya sauce and honey together and marinate the sliced roots for a few minutes before frying in a little hot oil. They make a great alternative to the usual bamboo shoots! Try adding some ginger and sliced mushroom then incorporate some steamed rice noodles to make a quick and healthy snack.

Enjoy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hmm, thank you for that :D

I quite fancy the stir fry :cool: and I've been keeping my eye on a clump of burdock all Summer too :D

cheers,
Toddy

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
As a biennial plant those plants will be at the end of their lives as they only live two seasons, though I must look up biennial as it's possible the plant regrows from the old rootstock.

I don't know much about eating it, but in its' first year it produces a rosette of leaves so possibly this is when the root is tender. In its' second year it throws up the flowering spike. I reckon it would be best to catch it early season for tender roots.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE