Lost 70yds x 40yds Limestone boulder

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
nowadays with the computer I tend to forget about the local library and dismiss it as somewhere for large print Barbara Cartland books :eek: but you right I might even go to the larger one at Skipton cheers Danny

Danny, you need to get signed up, you really are a star, I love you're way with words and writing, you've got brilliant material mate, maybe it's that 'northern humour' have you thought about self publish for local walking books mate.
:You_Rock_

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just as an aside I signed up for and only use Photobucket for BCUK it's just informed me that I'm at nearly 70% of my bandwidth and should consider going pro (i.e. paying) has anyone else come across this ?
cheers Danny

I've not had any emails from them Dan but they have changed stuff in the last few days. I've not been made aware of any policy and bandwidth changes. It now takes me about four clicks to where I want to be, compared to about a week ago it only took me one.

On the old layout it told you how much space you had left before needing to go pro, from what I can remember I was at about 19% with twenty four pages in my album. All uploaded at 1024 x 768.
Can't seem to find that same info at the moment though, I'll keep looking.

Just found it, Account Settings, on the right it shows a dashboard. Storage currently at 22% with 111Mb, and Bandwidth (what's the difference ?) at 32% with 3.3Gb. Is that the ammount of times folk are looking at them I wonder ?

My account has a storage capacity of 500mb and a bandwidth of 10Gb

Interestingly, there's also a message saying my email address in invalid, I've not changed it in about 13 years so I don't intend updating it.

Last edited:

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I've not had any emails from them Dan but they have changed stuff in the last few days. I've not been made aware of any policy and bandwidth changes. It now takes me about four clicks to where I want to be, compared to about a week ago it only took me one.

Just found it, Account Settings, on the right it shows a dashboard. Storage currently at 22% with 111Mb, and Bandwidth (what's the difference ?) at 32% with 3.3Gb. Is that the ammount of times folk are looking at them I wonder ?

My account has a storage capacity of 500mb and a bandwidth of 10Gb

Hi Shewie Mine's :-
total files---193---in 10 pages
account storage used-----67MB(13%)of 500MB
account bandwidth used---6.7GB(67%)of 10GB
and if ? they cut off at bandwith 100% they want $25/year to go pro. with unlimited bandwidth. I'll just let it ride and see what happens
cheers Danny

Last edited:

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net

Storage: The amount of stuff you have stored on Photobucket

Bandwidth: The amount of your stuff other people have downloaded/viewed (it amounts to the same thing) from photobucket which you have hosted with them.

It's entirely possible to host a single file of only a few kb with photobucket and use all of the available bandwidth, if it gets downloaded by enough people or enough times in a month.

Cheers,

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Following on from post #18 I had a blue rinse and a perm and sneaked into my local library today to ask about old 6" to mile maps.Thanks Grooveski.
They only kept ones for the local area but were very helpful in phoning Skipton library who confirmed they had an 1851 copy of the Simon fell area.
So I went over and made an A3 copy.White stones is shown on the old map roughly in the center of the green patch just below where the footpath
crosses the wall on this modern map
http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=54.16298679503163&lon=-2.372076144359314&gz=18&oz=8&gt=1
I don't know what the members here think of removing the upland dry stone walls from the maps but I think we've lost allot, many a time I've confirmed
or found where I am by the odd corner or field wall shape on the land to the map.Looking at the wheresthe path site in the link above. The satellite picture
doesn't seem to show any large boulder and makes you wonder what caused the green patch ? Maybe it has been quarried away.
With the snow looking to be going I'll have to dubbin my boots and go and have a look see
cheers all Danny

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hmmmm, nothing that big on that scale showing there.

What are the circular features about 7o'clock on the aerial view ?

cheers,
M

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Over in Cumbria there was an era of raiding the fells for those white rocks that you see in folks gardens. Kind of pockmarked, worn and corel-like(in a way).
That'd be limestone wouldn't it? If it was I wouldn't be surprised if it was gone. The report could have been describing a partialy worn deposit, it doesn't give a depth after all(could have been a foot high).
I only ever seen one patch of it. It was small and well off the beaten path but it was amazing stuff and there was no vegetation. That patch of green looks very like the areas it'd been stripped from.

Last edited:

Alexlebrit

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2009
France
I know it's a bit further south, but if you go down to Wharfe, and look at the lane coming out heading North-East it's called White Stone Lane, and leads up to White Stone, and White Stone Woods, HERE

It then continues North-East through a ford and forks, one part heading north towards Studrigg on Moughton Lane, and one heading more easterly till it reaches a T-Junction with Crummack Lane. That'd seem to suggest that it's far further south than on the slopes of Simons Fell.

THIS article talks about walking up to White Stone, and the limestone pavement, and has a couple of sadly untitled photographs.

I've got a couple of Victorian guidebooks and they think nothing of hopping miles back and forth, maybe they assumed you'd be on horseback?

Last edited:

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Hi Alexlebrit thanks for imput if you check out post #19 there's a map of the area you mention. I've not visited yet but it looks worth a "Tour" on it's own

In post #25 I mention that I photocopied an 1851 map of the Simon Fell area which shows Whitestones I've just taken a photo of it using my macro setting
1851SimonFellmap.jpg

but looking on the aerial photo in post #25 there's no sign so maybe it's as Grooveski says in post #28 it's now sat as garden ornaments ?
I'll be going up for a look as soon as the weather clears and will post some photos of the area.
cheers Danny

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The Spring that's marked directly below the stones is a good indicator. Often they emerge where the underlying geology changes in some way. If the white stone was limestone........

You have us all interested in this now :cool:

cheers,
M

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
map link http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=54.16298679503163&lon=-2.372076144359314&gz=18&oz=8&gt=1 the map needs to be dragged to the left to see full route.

I parked below Horton in Ribblesdale railway station this morning and followed the path through the station
Hortonstation.jpg

and headed for Sulber nick bridalway cross roads
sulbernick.jpg

passing a glacial boulder on the Clints above
SimonfellPerchedboulder.jpg

which brought Simon Fell into view.Carrying on the cloud started to close in and it got allot colder though no wind
onwayup.jpg

looking back with Penyghent on the horizon
lookingback.jpg

I reached the ladder stile where the path crosses the wall coming down Simon Fell end Inglebourgh in cloud on horizon
ladderstileSimonfellwall.jpg

With the green patch below it on the Horton side
greencircleHortonside.jpg

and the other half on the Inglebourgh side
greencircleInglebourghside.jpg

No sign of a 70yds x 40yds boulder though. But time for another gourmet dinner
dinner.jpg

same as the Thorns Gill tour bashed pork fillet dipped in beaten egg and spiced bread crumbs fried in olive oil
petits poise with baby carrots and mashed potatoes with an Italian Merlot.
The cloud really started to descend with Inglebourgh totally obscured so I set off back down passing some large snowdrifts
snowonwayback.jpg

just made it to the van as it got dark so allthough I didn't fine the Whitestones I enjoyed the day out
cheers all Danny

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D looks like a good day out :cool:

How about contacting the editor of the local paper, tell him your tale and ask if he would like an article, and see if you get replies that might let you know what has happened to the Whitestones ?

cheers,
M

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Thanks Mary I'll bear that in mind.
Back to the local reference library I've come up with

The Face of North-West Yorkshire
Geology and Natural Vegitation
by Arthur Raistrick PhD. MSc. FGS.
and John L Illingworth MA.
Dalesman Publishing Co.Ltd.1959

A characteristic of the Yordale Limestone is the occurrence of occasional rich fossil bands,
where a whole layer which may be two or three feet thick is made up of fossil shells or corals
in a limestone matrix.These bands are very useful in identifying the different limestones.
In the Inglebourgh to Malham district there are some useful distinctive bands in the lower limestones
as well as in the Yoredales. In the Great Scar Limestone the zones of S and D are separated by the
"Porcellanous bed", a thin limestone of texture as fine as porcelain. This limestone weathers
very white, and the bed often stands out as a white line among the other limestones. It can be
seen very clearly at the head of Crummockdale near the top of the screes on the east side of the
track going over Sulber.

this is very near and could be the reason the boulder was removed ?
I'll keep posting as I find out more
cheers all Danny

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Yordale limestone. Judging by the photo here that's the stuff I was thinking of. The patch in the picture is a bigger and the rock is darker but the way it erodes is quite distinctive.

Your 6" maps have contours. That's not fair!

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
Over in Cumbria there was an era of raiding the fells for those white rocks that you see in folks gardens. Kind of pockmarked, worn and corel-like(in a way).
That'd be limestone wouldn't it? If it was I wouldn't be surprised if it was gone. The report could have been describing a partialy worn deposit, it doesn't give a depth after all(could have been a foot high).
I only ever seen one patch of it. It was small and well off the beaten path but it was amazing stuff and there was no vegetation. That patch of green looks very like the areas it'd been stripped from.

i think the stuff you mean in cumbria is quartz looks like a crystal yeah?
they threw loads of it away from the copper mining industry on some of the bits you can see streaks of green on them which is the copper ore (malachite).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE