Looking for the best sleeping mat e.g. thermarest/exped, whats your choice and why

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Hi All
This is an area of kit I’ve been looking at for quite some time, although most of my nights woodland camping has been done hanging from trees, I’m looking to do more walking this year, so in preparation for grown dwelling, an item such as a ground mat needs careful consideration before purchasing.
I’ve got an X army 3/4 self-inflating mat atm for my hammocking, but feel this won’t be sufficient for all out sleeping on the floor in very cold temps, so I’ve researched the Therma rest and exped down mats and can’t come to a final decision.
I am looking for warmth, comfort, pack ability, low weight, not in that order, I have some Expeditions coming up in the Arctic hopefully, so will be needing a warm type mat, that I dont have to be to carful about getting snow wet.
I’ve read some reviews on exped giving very good feedback comments, but also ones that say the baffles blow, thermarest good reviews again but not warm enough from the ground.
So hopefully for people who have done a lot more ground dwelling than I and have trailed and errored such mats, I’m asking for your thoughts, help and advice on which to choose please?
Thanks
Bill

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I've had my Exped Synmat 7UL for about 3 years now, it's brilliant one of the best purchases I made when it comes to camping kit. Only complaint is that it's bright YELLOW.

I'm pondering upgrading it to a Exped Synmat Winterlite mat for next winter. Lighter, warmer, thicker.

J

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I love my Exped downmat... big and thick and warm :)
For less demanding conditions I use an Aldi self inflating mat big thick warm but heavy and bulky :)

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Another vote for the Exped synmat UL-7.
Tiny and light but warm and comfy when inflated even for a big fat side sleeper like myself.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I've been very impressed with my Thermarest Neoair Xtreme, very warm indeed and packs very small and light.

Cheers, Paul

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
I've also got a Thermarest Neoair Xtreme. It is small, comfy and warm. I do worry about it's resistance from puncturing below so use some tyvek type building paper on the ground below it. Sleeping comfort (actually getting to sleep and sleeping through) is important to me. Bad sleep = bad mood.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Exped downmat lite 5 for me. I have the small size version and I find that just fine, very comfy lovely and warm. And I got mine for about £55 so not too over the odds.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Thanks all, theres some good info for me to digest here, and the comparison chart is what I couldnt find anywhere so big thanks.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Well just an up date, I've ordered a exped downMat UL 9 LW. The best price I could find was from Munich, got a bothy sat coming up in a couple of weeks, will give a report if anyone interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE