Looking for suggestions on what to do with nettles- other than cordage and food!

willpower

Oct 4, 2010
Dorset
Hi guys,

Doing a talk on bushcraft uses for nettles in few weeks, I got the cordage and food/drink side of things sorted but just wondering if anyone knows of any other bush crafty uses?

Thanks in advance.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
There is a 101 uses for them, well according to this book anyway :)

Quite an interesting book, although one or two of the 'uses' might not be suitable for teaching to children!

Not too sure where my copy is off hand or I'd list a few for you, but you can view a few pages from that link which might help. Will look the book out this evening, and could list a few for you if interested?

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
i have used them when i have had a swollen knee, picked the leaves and rubbed them into the knee, stung at first but i swear the swelling went down, Jason (jag009) also tried it and swears it works too.

But i would say it has to be sore before most people would even consider it.

Also made a lovely nettle soup, full of vitamins and iron, tasted lovely.

Col

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
The nettle tea I made was vile..tasted fishy. I hear hemp fibres were/are used in making bow strings for old long bows, can nettles be used for crafts? maybe basket weaving mate? Also I hear nettles are best eaten after a light dabbing in the fire to rid its sting. :)

let us know what you learn mate!

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
When I was goat farming I remember that we collected them for the goats over winter - something about the nutrition content.

And I vaguely remember they have medicinal use - someone used to tell me that they were good for treating arthiritis - something to do with the stimulating effect.

Sorry it's all so vague

Alex

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
If you fry the leaves in oil they apparantly make good crisps!

But then if you've got the food/drink stuff sorted you probably knew that...

Sideburnt

Apr 7, 2011
Leeds
Brew with them,

Nettle Wine, is a poor mans champaign. Mine came out at about 24% was delicious and dissapeared within 2 weeks. 6 bottles. gone. Lots of happy friends and sore heads.

Nettle Beer is also an experience, there is a lot more of the flavor you'd get from a tea, but it works well with the fermentation flavor you get with homemade ales. If you've had an oyster stout you're pretty close to the flavor. Cheap, almost free and amazing for a summer get together. Nows the time to pick, weathers heating up and the tops are finally starting to pop up.

Scipio

May 1, 2011
Reading
Well, can`t beat a good cup of nettle tea. You can chop it up and use it on most foods in the same way that you use herbs.

M

mattmcdaid

Apparently nettles were cultivated 'during the war'. It was how they produced the green fabric dye for the military fabric garments. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE