Looking for some quality pot

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Hi folks

I have been searching for my perfect cooking pot for many moons. Cooking wise i like to use look what i found pouches coupled with uncle bens express. So far the best tool for the job is the mess kit that comes with the Swedish Army Trangia. it is eliptical so its a compact carry and it is both wide mouthed and high sided so it transfers the heat to the pouches perfectly. Trouble is its not exactly light and i dont really need the fry pan lid either.

Ive been looking for a similar sized pot in Ti and so far all i can see that comes close is the snowpeak 1400 but this is still a little compact and plus i cant find it in stock anywhere unless you buy it as a set with the 900 pot for circa £100.

So then. does anyone have any likely candidates for something that will be a good replacement for the SAT set.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Alright Paul, I have a West German mess tin set. Similar to the SA Trangia but no windscreen or burner. It's ali so it transfers heat better than Ti in my opinion and cost the princely sum of £4. It's kidney shaped and perfect for boil in the bag, plus it had a secong pan inside that nests in the top third. I've made stew in the main billy and had a wee bannock in the top cooking at the same time on a hobo many times, it's perfect for one person. This probably won't help you but it's a great bit of cheap kit that always works!

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Got to say i wonderd what this was going to be when i read the title, but as a member of the drug squad i had to look...

Rob

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
well i finally took the plunge and got the 1400 cookset and sold the smaller pot to recoup some of the outlay

Im really happy with the pot and the high side walls give great coverage for taller pouch type meals. Ive saved nearly a pound in weight over my SAT cookset.

20120929_083750.jpg

20120929_083838.jpg

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom

jiffi

Nomad
Jun 24, 2010
Castle Douglas, Scotland
I just got one of these http://www.nordicoutdoor.co.uk/zebra-billy-cans.html havnt had a chance to use it as it only came today little heavy but the quality is bang on but feels like it will last years.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE