Looking for Flint

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Golb

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2010
Belgium
www.golb.be
Today I planned a little trip with my son and my wife to collect some fresh pieces of flint. The funny thing is that I don't need to search for it, but just pick it up in an abandoned marl cave. And since the flint was a unwanted side product of the marl cutters, there is still plenty of it available.

Marl cave by Golb.be, on Flickr
On this picture, you can see clearly the flint bank, compressed between two layers of marl.

The cave itself is aprox. 50 meter deep and 200 meter long, almost at any place you can see a bit of the daylight, but you're helpless without a flashlight.

In order not to take the risk the cave would collapse I didn't start cutting pieces of flint from the roof our walls, but took some pieces that were laying on the ground. Just to be safe as I didn't bring a helmet :)

Finger cut by Golb.be, on Flickr

Anyway, I should bring my gloves the next time, as flint can be very sharp as well, you know :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE