looking for Crooked knife info

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
:eek::D

i miss a thread for a day or so

yes i can do left handed etc

umm lead times are getting longer as ive had little or no time to get into the garage as Christmas and sick relatives are takeing up most of the family time :rolleyes:

I would expect to get some ready in January.

Robin has now given me the curve he recommends

can people PM me as this isnt a sales thread etc or i might get into trouble :D:slap:

dont forget JoJo ahs some for sale if you want em quick i put a link up earlier

ATB

Duncan

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
PM sent;)

Interested to handle one of these up and get cracking. I made a few, a good while back and the interest on here and from students on our courses was overwhelming.

I made mine from files but could never get the temper right. I gave up on making these sometime back:)

Here's a few pics of the ones I made:
P3110004copyresized.jpg

resizedcrookknife1righthand.jpg

This one gets a lot of hammer, I use it for all sorts of work, not just carving but bark container making, feather stick shaving,general cutting and shaping. They really are excellent utility tools, indeed, they could be looked on as the original 'multitool'
1stcrookknife1.jpg

The beauty of buying a blade, is that you can of course make the handle to suit you. Don't be too influenced by Ray Mears in the design of your handle, I found that I made several attempts before getting the best fit to suit me.

Also; you can decorate them or leave them as you wish:rolleyes::D

Well done Duncan and Robin too, I really do like to see collaboration between craftspeople:cool:

best wishes and good luck:bigok:

Steve

Last edited:
Oks ive now finished a few and Pmed those first in line in My PM box who wanted one

but just to show you what your looking at as i realise i never posted up the second prototype let alone the final design that Robin helped develop

Bottom is the original one showing the bigger hook on the end i did before sending it off

teh one one the handle is the second prototype after Robins inital input

the top ones are the first batch hopfully wit ha few minor tweeks to eth curve (tho im getting a small variation )

note these blades pretty much Dont have a flat bit and are a tightening curve from handle to tip

firstbatch.jpg

the second prototype also has a releif bevel on the bottom rear edge which is on the final design as Robin tells me you need some to allow you to come up out of a flat plane cut as well as helping it hollow tighter bowls easier etc

hope this helps

ATB

Duncan

Robins should be in the post today and many others have already gone out

and finally ive got to have a go with one :eek::rolleyes: tho not for fine carving

I managed to get out this weekend ( yes i know get back in the garge and make stuff)

helped my local Bushcraft school build a round house frame to be covered with Tarps as a kit room / shelter and found the crroed knife was great at truing and cleaning up teh lap joints after inital forming wit ha bow saw and axe ( a lot safer to :eek:)

crooked2.jpg

RHjoint.jpg

RH1.jpg

also very good at fuzzing up sticks that normal knives find difficult this is very dead dry holly paper thin shavings
crooked1.jpg

ATB

Duncan

oks oks back in the garage i go

My blade arrived yesterday, cracking piece of work, just need to sort out a handle now:)

thanks Duncan

atb

R.B.

good thats another safe

for info heres the curves ive doen so far

Top : 3/4 flat to shallow end curve
2nd Down : The Robin wood curve tightning full length of blade
3rd Down : Short flat with a 35mm ish dia curve (looks similer to the RM :rolleyes: hopfully works better)
Bottom: same as above but extra 20mm of flat (is a left handed bladeso back edge showing relief bevel)

Crookbladeall.jpg

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE