Looking for an idea regarding tripod tie at the top

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
I want to connect three pieces of tube together at the top to create a tripod, and want it to be able to take apart again easily, after looking at some threads on here about using a tripod to hang pots over fire to cook over, any help or tips much apriciated.
Kind Regards
Bill
IMG_3761.jpgIMG_3764.jpgIMG_3763.jpgIMG_3762.jpg

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'd bash the ends flat, about 2" would do it.

Then drill a hole of about 8mm at the same place in each rod.

Get a 6mm bolt and some washers, long enough to allow the three rods to lay parallel when stored,

If you wish you can add a small hook between two of the rods as a chain hook

Or there is the cowboy option of getting an empty tin can with a wire hook through the rim - simply invert the can over the three ends.

Many options

ATB

Ogri the trog

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
I'd bash the ends flat, about 2" would do it.

Then drill a hole of about 8mm at the same place in each rod.

Get a 6mm bolt and some washers, long enough to allow the three rods to lay parallel when stored,

If you wish you can add a small hook between two of the rods as a chain hook

Or there is the cowboy option of getting an empty tin can with a wire hook through the rim - simply invert the can over the three ends.

Many options

ATB

Ogri the trog
Sounds good but I`ll see what else comes along,
Thanks for your replies so far guys

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Find a friendly pipe fitter and ask him/her to cut you a short piece of 1.5" steel pipe, then slide it on all three legs and separate to required distance.

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
I usually use wire wrapped (sort of figure 8 style) around the poles, for three or four time, although I have also used tent pegs inserted into the top of the poles, having first bent the tops over to form interlocked loops so you don't drop or lose a peg.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
keep an eye out for a 'tripod' branched tree limb and carve till the three limbs will fit down the tubes or......

take three lengths of thick electrical copper wire that two lengths fit snugly down the tube. Twist them together to make an eye then separate three pairs and twist together to produce 3 'legs' that will fit in the tubes. You may find that soldering them together will be possible to hold it all solidly.

not sure if my descriptions really help but I can see them in my minds eye :eek:

mark stotesbury

Forager
Oct 19, 2012
Cape Town South Africa
We normally use a metal ring - put poles through ring and spread the poles , tops need to stick out at least 3 inch past ring , ring slides down and with the poles spread in the ground its very stable we hang a 18kg pot on ours [picture a tipi ] you can weld 2 hooks on the ring it you want too to hang the pot

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Flatten the ends of each pipe and drill a hole through each. Then bend the flat tabs to such an angle that they form a tripod when a bolt is passed through the 3 holes. You could also include a piece of flat plate metal in the middle of the bundle, with a second hole at the bottom to hang pots and pans off (directly or with a hook and chain)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE