Looking for a stunningly gorgeous place to go for a long walk nearish to Basingstoke

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I am looking for a stunningly gorgeous place to go for a long walk nearish to basingstoke (say within 50 miles). I'm visualising somewhere remote (no light pollution prefereably) with a nice clear sparkly stream, flourishing flora, frolicking fauna and a cracking place to have a picnic!!!

What are your recommendations?

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Cheers, I'll add that to my list of places to go! Any others?
I'm mainly looking for picturesque natural places to take my camera :)
Specific locations and what's there to see would be great :D

If there are any really nice places to go around Basingstoke and have a picnic? :(

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
You are spoilt for choice:

ditto Watership down;
Vale of Persey - hit the White Horses;
Savernack Forest;
The Ridge Way;
Silchester;
Head over into the Chilterns
Kingley Vale.

Loads more - bit short on bubbling streams, big on downs land.

Alex

A bit

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Best walks I know around there are where I used to live. Go to St clairs Farm outside Bishops Waltham, Follow the footpath through the woods towards Lomers Farm - avoid the deer, kites, sparrow hawks, buzzards and stoats and then loop round past Beacon Hill to the bronze age Hill fort at Old Winchester Hill - the skylarks should be nesting now. Cross the road, loop around the golf course amongst ancient Yew trees to the Hampshire Bowman, have great food, watch the live archery and drink the best real ale around then cut back past the old stately home up to St Clairs. Amazing beauty, history and wildlife in one walk

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Best walks I know around there are where I used to live. Go to St clairs Farm outside Bishops Waltham, Follow the footpath through the woods towards Lomers Farm - avoid the deer, kites, sparrow hawks, buzzards and stoats and then loop round past Beacon Hill to the bronze age Hill fort at Old Winchester Hill - the skylarks should be nesting now. Cross the road, loop around the golf course amongst ancient Yew trees to the Hampshire Bowman, have great food, watch the live archery and drink the best real ale around then cut back past the old stately home up to St Clairs. Amazing beauty, history and wildlife in one walk
Sounds like a great place to live:lmao:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It was mate....nice neighbours too (except for the weird bloke I kept meeting in Budgens car park ;))

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Park in easterton, have a pint in the Drummer boy (My sisters pub:D) the head up the clay track to the ridgeway, stunning views across the vale, and if timed right some free fireworks care of the MOD, 51°17'4.25"N 1°57'38.73"W , one of my favorite routes to walk and snooze,

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Thanks for all the replies guys! So many great suggestions. That's me sorted on places to visit this year! :) British red & Southey, thanks for letting me know not only where to go, but planning the day for me! Looking forward to exploring these places :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE