Looking for a new all-purpose blade ~ £150

BStone

Jan 7, 2010
Denmark
Hi Guys!

I'm looking for a new all-purpose blade around the £150 mark.

The ones that have caught my eye so far are:

TBS Grizzly - looks like it might be a pretty good value, hard to find reviews though?
ESEE 5/6 - reputable blades that also are sexy as hell
TOPS BOB - again, reading lots of great things about them online
Fallkniven F1/A1/S1 - not quite as sexy as for example the ESEE, but lots of people seem to rate them higher?

Let me stress, that this will be my first substantial knife purchase, and very likely the only expensive knife I'll buy for a long time. At the moment I've been using a Mora for the past two years. As such I'm looking to "buy once, cry once" and in return get a nice knife that I can use (and abuse) over the following decade or so.

Am I missing any obvious options? Which of the above would you guys recommend?

Kindest regards
Stones

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
What he said. When I decided to shell out on a decent knife it coincided with a Fieldcrafter UK sale. I was very happy with my purchase. Reviewed here

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Yup plenty of makers on here who can make something to your requirements.
HillBill,FGYT,Driftwoodwalker Mark Jacobs but to name a few.

BStone

Jan 7, 2010
Denmark
Looks like I might have to gauge my options with the various makers then instead. Never even thought it was possible to get that kind of knife custom made at such a "low" price point.

Thanks for your suggestions :)

WoodGnome

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2015
Germany/Northern Ireland
I personally think that the Fällkniven are too expensive for what you get in return. The TOPS BoB is a knife that is good, but can't be sharpened very well without giving it a completely new edge. The knife only looks as if it had a scandi grind, but actually it's spherical (hopefully this is the correct vocab...). I'd go for the TBS or the ESEE 6 if the choice is limited to those. Otherwise I'd also consider an Enzo Trapper 115, a Casstrom Forest Knife No. 10 or a Muela Kodiak. Got them all, love them. Great knives, work horses, no problems.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Mark hill "crow" knife would be a belter and within budget

Or a "nordic style" knife from fieldcrafter-uk

Both in the makers market on here now and would serve you very well

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
what do you mean by all purpose?

I find I need different blade styles for different tasks

I realy cant get on with a scandi for food prep or skinning for instance

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
I brought a Gary mills timber wolf on the bushcraft store (no connection ect) for around 90 as a kit so I simply attached and shaped the handle. I have abused this knife more and more recently because it can take SO MUCH. Keeps an edge well, skin, slice,chop, iv even batoned it through logs ranging from about 1" up to 4". So it's my go to knife. Though the guys on this forum will do you a corking knife for a good price :)

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
I'd like to get an ESEE 6. However, I already have a neck knife (ESEE Izula II) and I intend to get a small hachet so do I need a large knife? I think not. Others may disagree.

Tim_B

Dec 8, 2013
Ipswich
Hill Bill's Eagle would do well, however agree with previous comments that Scandi isn't the best for skinning...but an all round knife isn't going to be the best....however the Eagle will do most tasks very well. I like the croc and kestrel too, but Eagle edges it for me.

The Crow is also a good choice - and available now :)
Thanks
Tim

Thanks
Tim

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I don't bother with anything 'custom'.

They have very little re-sellability, unless the maker is actual famous (should you need to sell it) and as a first 'proper' knife.. with all the practice sharpening, learning, mistakes etc there might be the chance of bad decisions and making your fancy knife become two less fancy knives..

If you aren't new, then it might be a good place if you want a keeper.

With a big budget like that, I would personally go for the ESEE. They are well known for being tough and usable and mostly without the bloated American hype factor, unlike beckers, ka bars and bucks etc.

And don't be put off by by all these over conscious nit pickings about food prep, skinning, whittling, batoning etc. It's a knife for christmas sake, it cuts stuff, some stuff better than others. But nothing worth sweating over.

So buy the one you like the look of, that has solid reviews.

(and have it blessed, just incase you come across a werebadger)

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
How about a Norwegian knife, the Helle Temagami? Here's mine:

helle_temagami.jpg

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Considering that I'm not as knowledgeable about blades as many on the forum, for £150 you can buy a lot either on or off the shelf! Esee have a really good name in the community, likewise Fallkniven. Do you want a knife to pass on or sell on in time? I picked up an F1 for a solid all purpose with a good resale value if looked after. Steer away from gimmicks or, like others have mentioned, ask a private maker to tailor one specifically for your needs. There are plenty of fine examples to be found in the forum.

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE