Looking For a Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I have recently made my own knife and it was our first attempt so it wasnt the sharpest of the lot. Still working on it though. (need to post pics soon)

This has probably been asked time and time again but I have had a quick browse and couldn't find what I was looking for.

Basically I am looking for a new and proper bushcraft knife as the one I have (not made) is a bit out of the style I am looking for and too military styled (in a way). Iam looking for one with a nice wooden handle, a blade that is sharp and will keep its edge. It will be used for general bushcraft things.

Can anyone recommend some knives & good UK / European sites?

I was on https://www.brisa.fi/ and some of those knives looks sweet.

I hope that someone can help and hope your not sick of people asking this.

Regards,
Andy

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Brisa is good with good service as is the goodstuff shop look here a knife does not have to be fulltang woodlore clone to be a good bushcraft knife be individual I say. If it has to be a woodlore clone try SWC look here

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Brisa is good with good service as is the goodstuff shop look here a knife does not have to be fulltang woodlore clone to be a good bushcraft knife be individual I say. If it has to be a woodlore clone try SWC look here

Fantastic site, Just what I was after! Does BCUK/BB have any connection to the site?
or do you know who runs it?

I'm in a similar boat to you Panda, I have a Skookum bush tool ordered but probably won't arrive until next year.
Currently using a Frosts Mora carbon and now a Clipper. In my quest to find a good affordable knife, I have a Fjallkniven S1 which i'm finding hard to use and sharpen, I also own an Early Benchmade Rant Bowie which doesn't suit either but i guess you have to try these things to really know. I have been watching the Stewert Marsh Bush knives on ebay selling easily in excess of £250 which is a bit out of my budget.

In the mean time I would love to try and make my own woody clone and that SWC site has made it possible very easily.

Thanks

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Get an Enzo off of Brisa.

You will not be disappointed.

I don't know about that. I have taken great care of my Enzo D2 trapper and whatever I do (including dry storage and coatings of camelia oil) it is still plagued with rust. My O1 knives are fine in the same environment. Cannot understand why. The knife came with a less than perfectly fitting scale(s). To be fair I was offered to send it back and exchange and also a discount on future purchases - so I can only imagine its a one-off...and a good customer service response. But, for me, once bitten........

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Now for the shameless plug.....Elma does knives (did my last one to commission) - the full monty - for less than £90. Genius.

IMGP1841.jpg

IMGP1842.jpg

IMGP1844.jpg

IMGP1846.jpg

Thanks all for the advice.
I do like the look of the Woodlore type knives and would have one but its not a case of I must have one because its like Ray Mears rather that they look quite nice.

I like the look of the Enzo ones but some are out of stock. How good are these knives? Do they also take a while to order and arrive in the UK and with this is there a charge for bringing it into the country?

Are the handles on the Enzo knifes quite smooth, they almost look plasticy on the photos. I would prefere a knife with a good looking wooden handle rather than a modern plastic/rubber one.

lostplanet - I too do not want to spend over the odds on a knife. Whats a good price range for a good knife? My budget is less then £100, the lower the better.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
The Enzo's are very good knives, very very very very very very good knives.

In fact they are some of the best knives i have ever used, and i have a LOT of custom knives.

Brisa is also one of the best websites for knives and knifemaking on the the Web, Dennis, the person who runs Brisa is also a member on Britsh Blades and here as well i think.

Just choose which handle you like the look of, they are all wood handled unless stated and then again the only other thing they will be handled in is Micarta.

Oh btw i would order now, those Enzo's won't be in stock for long.

I would order a kit but I dont have the tools to hand to make the handle. So I am tempted to buy an already made one.

Oh btw i would order now, those Enzo's won't ben in stock for long.

Why is that? :( Most are out of stock at the moment. Do you know if more will be coming?

Edit: PS whats the difference in the type of blades they have, eg Trapper?

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
They are out of stock because they are so popular, i have an Enzo, i did have a couple actually, they are virtually custom knives.

If you want i can PM Dennis for you and ask when he will be getting some more in stock, honestly he only put those Enzo's up a couple of weeks ago, i didn't realise they had gone so quickly.

Btw, the kits are really really easy, you basically have to file the bolts down and round off the edge, the handle is already profiled and everything.

And regarding the Trappers, Elvers etc, they are just different models and vary in shape and grind type etc, choose which one you like, personally i would go for the scandi ground trapper.

Did you make the handle for your Enzo?

I have recently finished forging my own blade, first time I have ever attempted something like that. However it was done at a mates who lives on the other side of Scotland and has most of the tools for it. What tools would you recommend for the handle? I can get my hands on a dremel multi (or use a file which would take longer) for the bolts and sandpaper for sanding. I also have Danish Oil for lachering the wood. Would that be enough?

The trapper blades do look nice, these ones did catch my eye.

Andy

They are out of stock because they are so popular, i have an Enzo, i did have a couple actually, they are virtually custom knives.

If you want i can PM Dennis for you and ask when he will be getting some more in stock, honestly he only put those Enzo's up a couple of weeks ago, i didn't realise they had gone so quickly.

Btw, the kits are really really easy, you basically have to file the bolts down and round off the edge, the handle is already profiled and everything.

And regarding the Trappers, Elvers etc, they are just different models and vary in shape and grind type etc, choose which one you like, personally i would go for the scandi ground trapper.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
You need a file and sandpaper and some finishing paper and some epoxy.

The holes are pre-drilled, the liners are already glued to the scales, all you need to do is glue the scales to the tang with some epoxy, tighten the bolts, leave to dry etc...

File down the bolts so they are flush with the scales and then round off the handles.

Its really very easy, its the easiest kit you can buy and because you do it yourself, you gain extra satisfaction.

Have a loot at kits on Brisa, you will see what i mean.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Here yo go mate, i dug around on Brisa for you and in all of a minute i found this.

instr1.jpg

As you can see, exactly as i have said Brisa has said ;)

It really is that simple.

Cheers for looking that up. I must have went to the wrong page. I went up to tutorials and found one but it wasnt the one you have just showed.

I might indeed go ahead and get myself one.

I know now that the D2 blades are better than the O1 due to the chromium content. Not fully sure what "Scandi" means.

What are they like for delivery times?

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
D2 is good, but its more expensive.

Scandi, means Scandinavian grind.

two2na7.jpg

The top one has a Scandi grind, its probably the most commonly used grind for Bushcrafting purposes, its also the easiest to sharpen and maintain imo.

Brisa are great for delivery and they have top notch customer service, if you have any questions that need answering, then PM me and i will PM Dennis.

Apr 27, 2008
Bedfordshire
I can verify what lots have been saying about brisa, great service, good delivery times and quality goods.

I Got the Enzo 01 Scandi a few months ago, it was the kit with olive wood scales

Did a few modifications, firstly got rid of the coating on the blade and the enzo markings. Also made a notch where cutting edge reaches the end. (Didn’t like that slight curve in the blade) will try and get pictures!

Mike

Thanks guys. Might go ahead and get one. Got my eye on a Curly Birch one.

D2 blades dont seem to be that much more expensive.

Do they come up with new handles over time or is that it for their kits?

Also two more question, do you need to lacher the handle with danish oil at all? I dont have a polishing wheel, can I use a cloth and wipe it down as an alternative?

Andy

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Thanks guys. Might go ahead and get one. Got my eye on a Curly Birch one.

D2 blades dont seem to be that much more expensive.

Do they come up with new handles over time or is that it for their kits?

Also two more question, do you need to lacher the handle with danish oil at all? I dont have a polishing wheel, can I use a cloth and wipe it down as an alternative?

Andy

If your going for the Curly Birch one (good choice) then the handle will need treating after you have finished sanding, i recently asked Rapidboy (member here and on BB) how he finished curly Birch as he rehandled a Woodlore in it, basically you soak it in a mix of boiled linseed oil and turpentine, 50/50 mix for about a week and then let it dry in the air whilst buffing it with a clean rag every so often until its dry.

You only really need a buffing wheel for Buffalo and and very finite finishing for wood, its basically quicker, that kind of finish can be had with a lot of elbow grease and very fine paper.

Good luck :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE