Looking for a book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Straw clutching time here folks. In the late 70s I had a chunky paperback book which detailed how to build a cabin/house, what a Scandinavian composting toilet was like, how to look after livestock and crops. I think it was called The Survival Handbook, or Handbook of Survival. It had a yellow cover with red on it. I don't know the authors, the ISBN, etc. Searching for the book online has proved fruitless, given the increase of 'survivalism' and outdoor stuff. If this rings a bell with anyone, or you can give me more info, drop a post here. I know there are better books around now, but it would be nice to try and get it again. Thanks for reading this far! Cheers.

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
probably no help to you but in the late 1970s/early 1980s 'Richard Graves' did some books with the title bushcraft in them, the one i had had a reddish cover though if i remeber correctly, it was a small chunky paperback, good luck with search :)

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Cheers I'll take a look, I'm very much obliged. Back then it was more like a smallholding book. The word 'survival' in the title was a little strange even before it became more widely used.

Last edited:

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Could it be 'The Survival Handbook, Self Sufficiency for Everyone' by Michael Allaby?

The yellow jacket rang my alarms. I'm looking at my copy now.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
You are brilliant! That's the one! I have spent hours over the last few years, even googled "survival handbook yellow red cover"last night to no avail. Because of that book we got a goat, my wife's just said "can we have a goat now?" lol. Thank you so much, now I can keep an eye out for it. Thank you so much. And joonsey! Thanks for your time.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
My pleasure! They've got the book used on Amazon marketplace for 1p plus a couple of quid postage if that helps.

We are jealous you're getting a goat! Are you going to make cheese or is it a sort of pet goat? We've kept chickens in the past and would love goats but we've been living in a flat for the past year with no garden and really miss it.

Keep us posted on the goat situation.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Thanks. To be fair the goat is in the distant future at the moment. Somewhere to live and job are first on the list (long story). We did have a goat once, an acquaintance knew we were looking into getting goats and bought one for himself. When it wouldn't stop scouring (um, diarrhoea, not sure how much you know about goats so apologies if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs) he gave it to us. Right. Thanks! Anyway we had her for a while but they're not easy to look after. But they only give milk when they have kids, they should rest for a year between kids, they will get out of anything short if Alcatraz, they don't like cold, wet or drafts. Etc, etc. Again, if you know all this i apologise. A friend with a herd took her in when we moved. She was very sweet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE