Look upon HER

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I'll stick with my GB and my Leuku, especially if its proportioned like the North Star.

I just ordered mine!!!! :eek:):

In honor of this blessed event!!!!
Let's SING!!!!!!!!

Mike%20Stewart_lumber2.jpg

Sorry guys!!!!! I just couldn't resist it!!!!! :naughty:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
:rolmao: I love python.

Is it just me or does the new BRKT hatchet look **tiny** ??

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Miniture mini axe? That thing looks like a wide knife with a long handle, i still want it though :roll: ;)

They're extremely tiny. You start with a regular Vaughan hatchet and grind off a lot of steel. I'll eventually get this page on the grinding finished..
Vaughan grinding

It chops better than a person would expect of 10oz total, but the strong point is splitting using a baton. Nothing I was able to haul along beat it. Like any optimized blade, though, that comes at a price - and the price is the thin handle. I haven't broken any, though.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Ok I'm lost - why would you want a mini mini hatchet?

Axe - big hefty head for chopping down trees, limbing splitting.

Lueku - Big knife for split and like chopping, can be used with a baton ect.

Knife - for cutting, carving, splitting and light chopping with a baton.

Saw....................................

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Gary said:

Some people have the money to bhuy one and go for a big name.

I have to question an axe who's strength is in use with a baton. I haven't broken my F1 doing that and it's even smaller and lighter

I can see the point for making nice spoons though

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Andy said:
I can see the point for making nice spoons though
I dunno - if I was going to carry an axe, mo matter how small, just to make spoons with, I think I'd rather just skip the axe and carry spoons! :rolmao:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Adi007 said:
I dunno - if I was going to carry an axe, mo matter how small, just to make spoons with, I think I'd rather just skip the axe and carry spoons! :rolmao:
:rolmao: :rolmao:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Gary said:

Axe - big hefty head for chopping down trees, limbing splitting.

Lueku - Big knife for split and like chopping, can be used with a baton ect.

Knife - for cutting, carving, splitting and light chopping with a baton.

Saw....................................

I feel comfortable with either a leuku or small hatchet. I especially like the GB mini because the heel of the bit drops down, allowing you to choke up on the head and use the hatchet ulu style. Small hatchets can be used for splitting, chopping etc, just like a leuku and are effective for pounding as well. However, you can make a baton for pounding so it's just a question of being handy, not necessary. If you break the handle on the small hatchet, it's still quite useful. You can use it as an ulu and a splitting wedge. The handle is also easier to replace than the handle on a leuku. Because of the wedge style of the head, it's also a better splitter than a leuku but you can whittle a wooden wedge so that's not a big deal either. The heel of the bit of the GB mini is also quite pointy and can be used to make penetrating cuts.

I like the leuku as well because compared to a lot of "big knives" it is fairly light. This is the appeal of the small hatchet to me as well. I take it backpacking and hunting. It rides nicely in the game bag of my hunting vest as well as my backpack.

The big leuku gives you a lot of knife in a very light package. Because of the longer edge, the leuku is also better at things like clearing an area of saplings and brush. But when I have that specific task in mind, I usually grab a machete. Clearing a large area is not something I normally do while “bushcrafting.” I don't find the task of delimbing a small sapling that much easier with the leuku although it might be.

Like I said, I feel comfortable with either one. Neither one will weigh you down and both are capable of a range of cutting/chopping duties.

BTW, I've never had my GB mini "bounce" off wood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE