look at this

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pauldr

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2008
thurnscoe
went for a walk up on the white peak on longshaw estate yesterday ( peak ) look at all the crap we picked up on the way round from the moors
why do people have to throw there rubbish is it that hard to take it home with them

i think the worse thing i picked up was a bag of dog poo , someone had cleaned up after there dog pooped then just chucked the bag .. what the hell...

anyway sorry for the rant its just it realy anoys the hell out of me when people do this

http://s341.photobucket.com/albums/o382/peakpdr/?action=view&current=S1052621.jpg

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
i think the worse thing i picked up was a bag of dog poo , someone had cleaned up after there dog pooped then just chucked the bag .. what the hell...

Around here people like to pick up there dog mess with carrierbags and then throw them up into trees or push them into hedges :confused: . I really don't get that attitude. I'm thinking of getting one of those litter picking sticks to take on walks, there's so much around here :(

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For me, this is living proof (along with all the posts of litter on loch sides etc. in Scotland) as to why "right to roam" is a bad idea.

Sure I would love to be able to camp wherever I want, but I cannot, in all conscience, think it is fair on people who work very hard to maintain their land, to allow that sort of vandalism to occur.

I'd love to believe that people "in the round" were mature enough not to litter and cause damage, but all the evidence says otherwise. I'm certain many "leave no trace" but clearly others do not.

I know that many think only " I don't leave litter so I should be allowed to roam". But these threads (and there have been several) illustrate why, in my view, landowners are totally justified in not allowing general access.

Sad, but there it is

Red

pauldr

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2008
thurnscoe
i could have picked up 2-3 times this much but it was getting dark , kids were getting cold and i only had 1 bag with me

numpty

Feb 7, 2009
mansfield
Some rubbish Littering is accidental ie a bottle dropping out the webbing on a pack sweet rappers blown away when you get somthing out of a pocket ! But to pick your dogs SH<T up in a bag then leave it near a gate or on a tree stump is just incredible . I love dogs but not the mess they leave so the owners who pick it up are fantastic but then to leave it for some warden on council to deal with is realy not on .
Any one who takes the time and effort to bag there rubbish but then not take it home or at least bin it . Too be honest i carnt think of a word that isn't swearing but there scum .
Ive found bags full of beer cans dumped 6miles up a mountain in wales ??????????? i just feel sorry for these peaple that they carnt enjoy the outdoors with out a beer

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I think that 90% of people do practice the “leave no trace in the countryside” ethos. Unfortunate they leave no visible sign; all we see is the result of 10% who do drop rubbish. I’ve walked a fair bit in my local countryside, and nearly every time, I go out I come across litter and rubbish. Mostly on my own, I am able to bag it and carry it to a bin or take it home.
I also walk quite a lot in the urban environment, and I doubt that all the members on this site would be enough to pick up half of the rubbish that is visible on my regular 13-mile route.
I think that the “right to roam” would move what is a urban littering problem into the countryside, I think it would make the litter problem 10 times worst than it is currently

pauldr

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2008
thurnscoe
went for a ramble in the woods again today only to come across what can only be described as an entire house,s waste for aprox 2 weeks it was bloody horrible it had just been dumped at the entrance of the wood . there was empty cans of food , dirty nappies and var other bits of crap..
a council van turned up and due to the fact that the wa#kers who dumped it had also left some bills / letters in with the mess the local council are now going to prosicute the fu##ers to the full

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Lol that's kind of funny. They might as well have left a photo I.D. there. Not the smartest plan... I see a lot of trash in the woods, like I saw a shopping cart and well just tons of garbage all over the place, even a couch and bed. I found a bunch of garbage in the one place that I go to alot, so I cleaned it up and picked up a bottle and it spilled on me, I guess it was used as a bong or something cause man that stuff stank and it took some cleaning to get that off my hand. I spotted the people doing it once so I told them to leave and they mooned me! Man if I ever see those people again...

dangerpie

Dec 5, 2008
Thame, Oxfordshire
Last summer me and my housemates went to a forest in Huddersfield a couple of times a week. The first time we scouted around we found the perfect spot, but it was STREWN with rubbish. Beer cans, smashed bottles, all sorts of crap; it filled up 2 whole bin bags.

And then a badger or something didn't want to help us out during the night, he clawed into one of the bags and there was rubbish all over the place again!

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
For me, this is living proof (along with all the posts of litter on loch sides etc. in Scotland) as to why "right to roam" is a bad idea.

I know that many think only " I don't leave litter so I should be allowed to roam". But these threads (and there have been several) illustrate why, in my view, landowners are totally justified in not allowing general access.

Sad, but there it is

Red

You're not a landowner by any chance are you?

I'm sorry but this attitude is absolutely crackers if you ask me. It's the tired old story of wanting to ban something because a few idiots don't know how to behave. Some people fight at football matches,,,,lets ban all fans from attending games then! Some people get drunk and disorderly,,,,,lets ban alcohol! Some people spoil the fishing for anglers while paddling their canoes,,,,,,lets ban all canoeing! etc etc ad infinitum. I live in Scotland and thank my lucky stars we have a progressive administration ( in this case anyway:rolleyes: ) that sees the countryside as a natural resourse for all to enjoy and gives us the right to access it when we choose to do so.

I also walk my dog and sometimes find bags of poo left lying about even though there are bins literally yards away!!! Utterly bewildering!:red: I can't emagine the thought process going through these peoples minds

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I don't normally post in rant threads but the dog poo in a bag thing has always wound me up something crazy, I just can not understand what is going on in their heads. Do they think they are helping someone somehow by bagging it. Round here they tend to hang it on the barbed wire of the fences, just bizarre.

Having said that I think Tadpole is right that this is a minority. Probably 3000 people walk past my workshop on a busy weekend and I would be surprised if on average there are more than 3 bits of litter dropped per week. So I would adjust Tadpoles 90&#37; to say 99.9% are fine and its 1 in 1000 that bags their dog poo and leaves it hanging. Who do they think will be popping round to collect it?

PS Paul, Longshaw is very definitely Dark Peak not white peak, its all peat and gritstone not limestone. Its a lovely spot, I have a bench to make up there in a couple of weeks.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I would also agree about it being a minority and I would also add that it is usually a local minority as well.

If you want to see what I have to deal with regularly take a look here or here.

I've come across plastic wrapped :censored: trees too and I can't get my head around it, I'd rather they left the :censored: for nature to deal with than that.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com

I'm sorry but this attitude is absolutely crackers if you ask me. It's the tired old story of wanting to ban something because a few idiots don't know how to behave. Some people fight at football matches,,,,lets ban all fans from attending games then! Some people get drunk and disorderly,,,,,lets ban alcohol! Some people spoil the fishing for anglers while paddling their canoes,,,,,,lets ban all canoeing! etc etc ad infinitum. I live in Scotland and thank my lucky stars we have a progressive administration ( in this case anyway:rolleyes: ) that sees the countryside as a natural resourse for all to enjoy and gives us the right to access it when we choose to do so.

I also walk my dog and sometimes find bags of poo left lying about even though there are bins literally yards away!!! Utterly bewildering!:red: I can't emagine the thought process going through these peoples minds

I`m with you on this one. Too much ban this ban that because of a few idiots. I say take the idiots out, and not the ones that behave.

Dogpoo in a bag has puzzeled me too for some time. Why do people think a poo in a plastic bag is better than one in the ground?

Tor

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
Well done Wayland for spending so much time much cleaning up after those people. I've picked up other people's litter before, but 2hrs is prodigious! The sad thing is that they like being in the countryside, or they wouldn't be there. I'd bet my life that they weren't taken outdoors by their parents when they were younger and know nothing about the countryside. They're strangers in their own land.

But here's a provocative one, and off at a bit of a tangent: Who does the most environmental damage?

A) Wealthy middle aged people who live in big, polluting houses, drive big 4x4s and take a lot of foreign holidays. They enjoy visiting the countryside and leave it as they found it.

B) Kids that ride bikes and litter like it was a competitive sport.

Don't get me wrong, I know who I'd rather live near, but nature doesn't care if we sympathise. Litter ruins people's enjoyment of the countryside more than it harms the countryside itself. If there's a solution, it's getting to people when they're younger and taking them out there. As long as people see nature as something external that they drive to for a day out, then there'll be a big problem like there is now.

Any thoughts?

pauldr

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2008
thurnscoe
i know but i passed a sign on the entrance to one of the paths and it said white peak so i thought thats what people would know the area as since thats whats on the sign ... oh wheres the bench gonna be ?

put it at the plantation area so i have somewhere to rest the next time i break my heel

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Last time someone let their dog s##t outside my house i enquired if they were going to pick it up and take it away, to which i recieved a amount of verbal.

Anyway , Hair trigger temper initiated , i bent down grabbed a handful and liberlly decorated the 'orrible little oik's jacket with it.

Not blaming the dogs. As Sartre commented 'Hell is other people..."

Guess they took it away in the end sort of....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

I'm sorry but this attitude is absolutely crackers if you ask me. It's the tired old story of wanting to ban something because a few idiots don't know how to behave.

Nope, can't afford my own land just yet.

I do help the farmer where my cottage is clear up on the footpaths though.

FWIW I don't want to ban anything - there is no "right to roam" here. However nor do I wan't to see it introduced. Footpaths are fine - and quite enough for people to enjoy the countryside, they don't need access to it all - particularly because it will simply spread the damage and litter further.

I simply son't see why landowners should be forced to clear up after other people or pay to repair the damage they do. If right to roam is brought in round here, "ight to compensation" should be brought in with it - or it should become a council responsibility to clear up all the mess and repair the damage.

I simply don't see why people who contribute nothing to a piece of land should be given the right to damage or litter it and there is somply nothing the landowner can do about it

I live in England - and I thank my lucky stars that we don't have right to roam!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE