Longbow making - saved from the dark side!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Went to do the field course at my archery club today and somebody loaned me a flatbow so I used it rather than my recurve with all its bells and whistles. C**p scores but MUCH MORE FUN!

So - now I want to make a longbow. Does anyone have any recommendations for good courses? Especially in the West country/Welsh borders area?

BTW:broke one arrow and lost two but STILL HOOKED!

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I love traditional field archery.

Do you really want to make a longbow ? A flat bow is easier. Forest Knights do a good bow making course near Arundel

Arrow loss continues to be painful, especially with wooden arrows. I switched to alus with my flat bow and lose / break far fewer
NS

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I love traditional field archery.

Do you really want to make a longbow ? A flat bow is easier. Forest Knights do a good bow making course near Arundel

Arrow loss continues to be painful, especially with wooden arrows. I switched to alus with my flat bow and lose / break far fewer
NS

Yeah, a longbow it is - I reckon the Agincourt bug has bitten strongly! Also, I had borrowed the arrows as well so that made it far worse!

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
There is a one day workshop done through the bushcraft magazine thats great.
You might not completely finish the bow (tillering can take a while) but is a great introduction and seriously good for the money. normally held in Kent though - although if you ask something might be possible.
I am part way through 3 now - although not completed tillering any yet and dnt have the propper string to finish em of - althugh if your into archery already that might be easier for you to source!

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Whats a flatbow - is this the same thing as a "primitive" bow?

Exactly what it says on the tin. A bow that isthe same thickness from tip to tip (apartfrom the handle area) otherwise known as a pyramid bow, due to the shape when looking at it from the front, wide at the fades (area just above and below the handle) narrowing down to the tips to produce a long triangle or pyramid. It is the narrowing of the width that gives the tiller to the bow, as opposed to the oval cross section (give or take) of the traditional ELB. Flat bows can be long, and are simple to make. You can start in the morning and be shooting in the afternoon. I defy any mortal to acomplish that with ELB.

Have a look at my website, there's loads of info on all sorts of bows, loads of pics and my bowyers diary. (Just google delsbows or bowyers diary to find me).
There's a nice Hazel flatbow/primitive, Ash Meare heath style bow, Yew longbows and primitives, not to mention the Chinese repeating crossbow :eek:
Del

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Have a look at my website, there's loads of info on all sorts of bows, loads of pics and my bowyers diary. (Just google delsbows or bowyers diary to find me).
There's a nice Hazel flatbow/primitive, Ash Meare heath style bow, Yew longbows and primitives, not to mention the Chinese repeating crossbow :eek:
Del

Cheers for this - some good stuff. Did the field course recently with a guy shooting a Mongolian horse bow (without the horse!) - great looking bit of kit!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE