Long weekend camping trip

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
My wife & I decided to go for a four day camping trip as this is the last long weekend before winter sets in.It'll likely be April or May before we see weather this nice again.
This is in northern Saskatchewan.
Spruce boughs before setting up the tent
IMG_0283.jpg

Fried moose for supper
IMG_0326.jpg

We had our own lake beside which to set up camp
IMG_0300.jpg

Sunset
IMG_0335.jpg

Another sunset
IMG_0293.jpg

A chilly morning.There was frost on the ground when I got up
IMG_0297.jpg

This is the type of country in this area.This is what you see driving hour after hour,lakes,rivers and bush
IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

A nice falls
IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

We had lots of fun.Too bad we were too late to catch the leaves turning.It's getting close to winter.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Lovely photo's
What does moose taste like?
unfortunately its not something easily got in bedfordshire so not had oppourtunity to try it

That's a tough question.It's hard to describe except to say it's excellent meat.It's not always the same either.At times it can be tough,other times very soft and tender.It varies between cows & bulls too,and the time of year.
I realize this tells you absolutely nothing but I am truly at a loss to compare it to anything else.
If you ask ten different people you'll likely get ten different answers.Google it and you'll see what I mean.
So,I can only say that moose tastes like.....moose.:bigok:

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Well I grew up eating moosemeat as a staple in my diet and for me, I would say that the closest to it by far is beef. I would bet many people could not taste a
difference between the two...

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
At least you didnt say it tasted like chicken!
Always strikes me as strange how everything tastes like chicken.
is it anywhere near beef as a flavour?

Certainly closer to beef than chicken:approve:
Actually,as far as I'm concerned,the only thing that tastes like chicken IS chicken.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Ahh, home sweet home! Except I don't live there anymore, what a shame for me! Thanks for sharing, I'll be following your threads to get a glimpse of what I'm missing out on. Thanks for sharing, looks like you had a good trip out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE