Long socks for breeks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
After a bit of patient searching I've managed to snag a nearly-new pair of Rohan Super Striders breeks on eBay; quite a bargain at thirteen quid, I don't think they've actually been worn at all. I'm intending to use them for general hiking and camping wear, as well as cycling, but it's been a while since I last bought a pair of knee-length socks so I'm looking for recommendations.

Previously I've had generic "fishermen's socks" from the Army & Navy, which tended to be rather tight around the calf, and shooting socks from Barbour, which were far too "knobbly" and led to awful blisters. Can anyone suggest a good brand and supplier (Internet would be ideal) of knee-length, three-season walking socks, preferably reasonably priced (some walking socks these days seem to cost more than I pay for trousers)? Thanks in advance.

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Try your local gun shop. People wear long socks with shooting breeks all of the time and they generally carry a good selection at a range of prices.

BS

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. The Cabela's socks look great (and I've always been happy with their gear and level of service), but for now I'm opting for something a bit more akin to the kilt hose: A pair of mohair long socks. Sound a bit too softy for bushcrafting, mind :D

Not sure when they'll arrive, mind. A bit of snow seems to have utterly shocked Manchester to a halt. There are times - many, many times - when I really miss living in the country.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE