long line fishing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushwakka

Feb 10, 2005
wherever I lay my soul
The type of 'long line' I use is not the one described by rapidboy which seems to me to be like a commercial fishing long line and requires a boat.

In my bushcarft kit I carry two long lines, one for fresh water and one for sea water.

FRESH WATER LONG LINE. This is made from a 20 metre length of nylon monofilament approx 15-20 lb breaking strain. Attached to this line at 30 cm intervals are hooks of about size 8 - 16 on 30 cm leaders. Each hook is either a trout fly/nymph or baited with an artificial bait. The reason for this is that natural baits may be hard to find or unsuccessful. I can always bait the hooks with a natural bait if available. The line is then set across a stream/river or into a pond/lake. You may have to wade out to do this! You can weight on end of the line and cast it out but river current or a struggling fish might cause it to get tangled up.

SEA LONG LINE. I use a 30 metre length of nylon cord (it's actually a kite line!) which is set at 50 cm intervals with size 2 to 6 hooks. Again each hook is pre baited with an artificial bait just in case natural baits are hard to get. (I would generally prefer natural baits). The line is set at low tide mark strung between half a dozen metre long poles driven into the seabed. I try to make sure that some of the baited hooks are lying on the seabed for bottom feeders. The tide comes in covering the longline. When the tide goes out again there are usually several fish caught on the hooks. The disadvantage of this method is that you need to know the times of high and low tide. If you miss the tide you will lose your meal.

Using long lines in freshwater is illegal in the UK due to anti poaching laws so I would not advise trying it unless in a genuine survival situation.

I always prefer to carry pre-set fishing kits rather than having to untangle lines, tie hooks, wieght lines, etc... when you might be cold, stressed or injured.

Dorian Gra

May 19, 2005
Isle of Islay
I used to use an otter board for fresh water fishing before the made them illegal, it was highly effective, too effective thats why they outlawed it :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE