Londoner Escapism - Wild Camp?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jimmeh

May 20, 2010
London
I'm stuck in london.. help!

Finally got hold hold of a worthy trippin' vehicle to wonder off in, and escape london - now i just need ideas for where i can go. Sitting in with the St Pauls protesters isn't quite what i had in mind.

I'd like to do a bit of a wild camp with my other half, and potentially friends at a later date - but i need ideas of where is good to go, safe and not hostile to uninvited guests!

I've done some wild camping before when in the military, though mainly in the typical brecons/new forest/dartmoor/cumbria etc, always with land clearance approval and sadly nowhere near London where i now reside... Evidently now im cooped up in the city and im missing my country past-times. I'm a reasonably experienced mountaineer, and i've spent considerable time in tents, walking and climbing, i've got most of the gear but it just doesn't get used enough these days. Id also really like to learn some bushcraft skills, i'm envious of what iread on these forums!

Id like to get involved again; and watching "Dual Survival" recently has really sparked my bushcraft inners, i want to build a shelter, make a fire and stare into it! and then do some cookin, make a bed, rack up my home made cotton and paracord hammock (and finally test it..!) ... eeeeh im excited :)

Any input much appreciated, id like to not travel too far, though if all else fails i'm off to sleep with the horses in the new forest.

Cheers, Jim

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
Jump on the train to Dorking from Waterloo. Get off at Box Hill; about 45 minutes from W'loo. Follow your nose... I reckon you'll find a few spots soon enough. The scenery's nice, too. Just start straying off the North Downs Way. Just tidy up after yourself!

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
Metropolitan Line to Watford - 10 minutes walk and you are in Whippendell woods. I'm often out the of a friday night, camp fire hammock/bivvy bag and dog. Only downside is the slight hum of the M25 but you get used to that. Get in touch if you want company.

jimmeh

May 20, 2010
London
excellent posts, thanks!

ive got friends near watford, have done that route before - and last christmas i went walking/sledging around box hill - great area, hadn't thought of that!

hmm. exciting!

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
I shoot down to the New Forest a few times a year from west London. Park up in a village and wander off into the woods. It's only two hours from here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE