London Pattern Book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Also known as the Sheffield List, the LPB was a published industry standard for the sweeps, bends, angles and sizes for wood carving tools (1600's?).
The LPB is very much alive and well in this day and time.
Just trivia, I suppose, but I'd like to read a little history surrounding its writing and publication.
Can someone please show me a source? I've run out of search ideas.
Thank you.
Brian

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks. I don't know how you found those. I expect that the part which interests me is no more than a chapter.
I'm also interested to learn what provoked the author(s) to write such a huge undertaking.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Thanks. I don't know how you found those. I expect that the part which interests me is no more than a chapter.
I'm also interested to learn what provoked the author(s) to write such a huge undertaking.

If you look at page 4 of the PDF, you'll see that it is the catalogue of Edward Brookes, Ironfounder, Engineer, Machinist and Tool Maker of Hight Street, Sheffield. The company seems to have made just about every kind of hand tool and part for furnaces and steam engines that you could possibly imagine.

From plane irons to steam cranes, from mortice chisels to hydraulic presses. And emigrant's and gentleman's tool chests…

Pages 188 and 190 have a nice selection of axes and hatchets, and page 192 has a nice selection of adzes (PDF page numbers, not the original catalogue page numbers).

Last edited:

Geebe

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2012
Dublin
If you look at page 4 of the PDF, you'll see that it is the catalogue of Edward Brookes, Ironfounder, Engineer, Machinist and Tool Maker of Hight Street, Sheffield. The company seems to have made just about every kind of hand tool and part for furnaces and steam engines that you could possibly imagine.

From plane irons to steam cranes, from mortice chisels to hydraulic presses. And emigrant's and gentleman's tool chests…

Pages 188 and 190 have a nice selection of axes and hatchets, and page 192 has a nice selection of adzes (PDF page numbers, not the original catalogue page numbers).

Wow, that was some company! Nice axe patterns illustrations.

Printed repro on Amazon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE