London meetup?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
rich59 said:
I don't know three halfpenny woods - any more details of the name or location? I am looking at two campsites at the moment.

1) Frylands - a 60 acre site and 40 clearings for camping or activities. The front end is well developed with lots of scout facilities. The back end it fairly pristine woods (for a scout camp) with plenty of lying wood, a few clearings for camping and not much else. Recommends alter fires - in half oil drums I believe, but certainly I have had ground based fires there many times. It is probably expensive to book the whole site for a weekend.

2) Bears Wood - a 10 acre site with 20 small clearings. - Not much there except loo block and woodland and camp clearings. Fires are recommended on pre made concrete alters I think. This one might be better for a BCUK weekend, especially off season when I think it is closed to scouts.
three half penny woods is the otherside of new addington,west wickham end,have a look at ordance survey,but im not sure of the size of the camp site.I know frylands woods,used to go scouting there,seems a good option.. ;)

Ratel10mm

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
Southern Oxfordshire
YES! I'm up for it. When I lived in Oxfordshire there was a group called BBONT - Berks, Bucks & oxon Nature Trust who did lots of coppicing & other nature type stuff. They used to assist with coppicing Steventon Copse. I don't know if there's a London branch who may be able to help with venues & facilities in return for some voluntary labour?

Found it! http://www.wildlondon.org.uk/get_involved.php

If anyone has contacts with these folk, they may well be willing to discuss the idea if they're anything like the bunch I knew.

pignuts

Jun 15, 2005
theres a campsite at debden, in epping forest, where you can have fires, and i think its litterally fields that run into the forest, although i havent checked it out yet. could be a good possibility!!

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Debden green is a good choice they also allow open fires, its right on the edge of epping forest and you can collect dead wood as long as its wrist thick around 3ins in diameter if memory serves me, although taking some of your own would be handy ,they have one large fire pit per pitch, oh and you need to get up the back field middle to top pitches as if it rains it ends up like a swamp ;) .......JP

pignuts

Jun 15, 2005
hoping to get up to debden this weekend to check it out for forest school stuff as well . will report back on the latest costs etc.., and the possibility of a bushcraft get togethor!

C

cossack

looking forward to feedback on this, I only live a few miles away :)

pignuts

Jun 15, 2005
sorry for the delay in replying. went to check out debden, but unfortunately they were still closed for the winter. they open again 1st may. i did get a phone no. for the site manager so will give him a call and let all know how i get on 1

lalg

Mar 24, 2006
london
i know its a bit tame but how about dobbs weir in lea valley you can have fires as long as there of ground and its open from the 1st of march no need to book just turn up great wildlife and walks toilets and showers if you fancy and a pub

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE