London meetup?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Any interest in a London meetup? I think there are quite a lot of us from London.

There would be no problem about using a scout camp site near New Addington if you have a valid CRB check, but perhaps there are other ideas.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
The Joker said:
Im near Guildford is that near enough to London cause I'd be interested but I don't have a CRB thingie (I've got a CB somewhere in my shed)
LOL.

In case CRB is confusing - read "Criminal Records Bureau".

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
New Addington? That's not London, it's in Croydon. :D

I reckon there's quite a few of us who don't have CRB checks.

Just out of interest why would we need one? I often help out with the Scouts (as a parent) and I don't have one at the moment. (I might be getting a new one though for some other youth work.)

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Rebel said:
New Addington? That's not London, it's in Croydon. :D

I reckon there's quite a few of us who don't have CRB checks.

Just out of interest why would we need one? I often help out with the Scouts (as a parent) and I don't have one at the moment. (I might be getting a new one though for some other youth work.)
Have a word with you Group Scout Leader who is the person responsible for your local policy.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Sounds like scout camps might be a challenge then.

Other ideas? -

A day on one of the commons
An exploration of a wooded graveyard
Visit to London Wetlands Centre
Any contacts on one of the Thames Islands?
Any contacts for some of the woodlands around London?
A day workshop on some skills in someone's back yard

Any other ideas?

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Graywolf said:
Richard,Would we still need a CRB check if there were no children on the property while we were there?
Clayton
Probably not. I know that they have been known to let out the whole site to a non scout group for a weekend. I know because with a mix up of dates my scout troup arrived to camp and weren't allowed to!

I will enquire if this is a possibility.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Don't suppose the Buckingham Palace gardens would be available while the Queen is away.

Wondered if we would make an interesting exhibit in Regents Park Zoo if they had any spare, unused enclosure.

More seriously the London Wildlife Trust might swap permission to camp with doing a bit of work for them? Anyone got a contact with them?

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
wolf said:
hiya mate,sounds cool,im living in coulsdon,used to live in addiscombe,know area well,what scout camp are you looking at,the one in three half penny woods?
I don't know three halfpenny woods - any more details of the name or location? I am looking at two campsites at the moment.

1) Frylands - a 60 acre site and 40 clearings for camping or activities. The front end is well developed with lots of scout facilities. The back end it fairly pristine woods (for a scout camp) with plenty of lying wood, a few clearings for camping and not much else. Recommends alter fires - in half oil drums I believe, but certainly I have had ground based fires there many times. It is probably expensive to book the whole site for a weekend.

2) Bears Wood - a 10 acre site with 20 small clearings. - Not much there except loo block and woodland and camp clearings. Fires are recommended on pre made concrete alters I think. This one might be better for a BCUK weekend, especially off season when I think it is closed to scouts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE