Locking knive, folding, one simple blade?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 10, 2010
UK
I am looking for a simple knive. 1 blade, no fancy extras, I already have a victorinox with 32 or something tools, and just fancy a knive to slip in the pocket.

Can anyone suggest one, which has a very simple one blade, which folds, is comfortable to use, and has a fairly large blade?

Ideally wouldn't want to spent more than £20 to £25.

Many thanks,

memorire

Jan 21, 2010
Germany
Pocket Bushman from Cold Steele. Great lock, OK blade (I like the shape and size but not very keen on the steel) and very well built all around. Bomb and tankproof ;) BUt not very suitable if you want to carve hard wood a lot - your hand will hurt because of the handle pretty soon. But the you can get an Opinel together with the PB and you have everything covered ;) Oh and an Opinel without the PB is a great knife choice too (an Opinel No.12 would answer all of your requirements) ;)

cheers

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Opinel do great knives but you have to remember that if it is a locking knife you can't just "slip it in your pocket". You have to have a valid reason for carrying a lock knife otherwise it will be confiscated and you might be charged. If you want something you can carry in your pocket all the time legally then it has to be non-locking and below 3" you could try a svord peasant knife and grind the tip down slightly so that it is under 3" as I think the peasant is 3.2" and if you get a mardy copper than he will still charge you.

If you are carrying it for work or bushcrafting then you should have no problems carrying a lock knife, but if you want to carry it every day then you have to be careful. :)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Before you buy, have a good look at the different grind styles (scandi, flat etc.) and also decide if you want a stainless blade or not. There are dozens of blade shapes to choose from and each has its niche. It's probably worth keeping an eye on the classifieds here and maybe on British Blades, you'll often see something similar to what you want there. When you see something offered for sale, check on the Web to see what it goes for elsewhere, both new and used. Look for reviews if you can find any, they're sometimes very revealing. Don't put yourself under any pressure, there's always another chance. Your budget isn't going to buy a new top name knife, but you should be able to get something very serviceable for that and if you'll buy a used one you should easily be able to get something that will last you a long time. There are plenty of flea markets around that sell used tools, you'll often see good bargains and you can haggle, especially late in the day. You'll see some junk too!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I can give a super strong recommendation for this one. The price is right, the blade is long, it has a slip joint lock and liner lock AND it comes with a toothpick.

sak_sentinel1b.jpg

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Opinel for me everytime, light weight, sharp (and easy to keep sharp). Cheap so it doesnt matter if you lose or break it (although I would be gutted to lose / break my lightly pinped no.8). You also have a choice of stainless or carbon blades and a multitude of sizes. For the sake of a tenner, give one a go...

ATB, Jon.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Opinels are good, outstanding for the money, and I love Victorinox SAKs and the Svord peasants are OK but perhaps a little big

If I were after one now I'd up my budget a bit and get one of the cheaper Spydercos, I have a Tenacious and a Persistance and they are Very good for the money (£35ish?) and I've had a couple of Byrds for a while and they seem good too.

Or if its a slippy you're after then wait for the new (cheaper) UKPK

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Where abouts in the UK are you? I would suggest visiting a shop that stocks knives so you can have a hold and test for any blade play before buying. I nipped into my local gun shop a couple of weeks ago for something and came out with a nice, thick, locking balde that I now use for all sorts of tasks. Didn't even go in to buy a folding knife!

Opinels are fine, I have one, but they will not take any decent amount of rough use. I like a blade I can carve with, baton with etc etc and not worry about it breaking.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just caught up with Bushwacker Bob and he mentioned this thread to me. As he can confirm I have always got a Trevor Ablett in my pocket - antler handled twin blade. The blades are now stained, as is the antler.

These knives have soul. A handmade knife, for thirty odd quid? Its a pleasure to take out of my pocket, be it for feathering sticks or opening parcels or peeling and apple.

Just buy one

Timbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2010
Check out the new Boker Fishmuk with bone handle for £33. If you fancy a little Italian number take a look at the Maserin Colt Sport with Olive wood scales it £36 though but a nice simple traditional styled knife theres a larger brother called, funny enough, the Colt Sport Large for same price and theres an even nicer Stag handled version called the Maserin Caccia £47 or if you want something simple they do a non-locking knife with olive scales for £12! Heinnie stock these, I am not affiliated to Heinnie in any way I just get my stuff from them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE