Loch Lomond Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Echo

May 27, 2010
Manchester
I'm looking for some advice on wild camping around Loch Lomond, what I would like to know is where on the Loch is best to go wild camping, preferably with public transport from Balloch, if anyone has any experience camping Loch Lomond I would really appreciate any advice I can get.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Camping on the shores of Loch Lomond is a bit of a sensitive subject at the moment due to the neds trashing the place and spoiling it for the rest. Not sure what kind of responses you'll get from the locals but maybe think about somewhere else, is there any reason you have to go to Lomond ?
I camp there quite a bit during winter but that's canoe camping out on the islands when it's too cold for the day trippers and chainsaw brigade.

Echo

May 27, 2010
Manchester
It has to be Loch Lomond because the train tickets to Balloch are already booked, I fully intend to obey by the countryside code. I hope the locals don't prejudge me as an idiot that is looking for kicks from trashing the place.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don't think you'll get judged mate, it's the big groups of car campers that have spoilt it. It's a real shame as it's a stunning place to spend a few days, the fact that it's only half an hour away from Glasgow doesn't do it any favours, as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer the place gets invaded every weekend.

I think the problems areas are the south east shores but I'm not really familiar with that area as we tend to paddle out from Aldochlay or Luss usually.

There are some nice camp spots up the northern end which the WHW trekkers use I think.

What's your plan anyway, are you hiking about or just setting up and chilling out for a few days ?

Echo

May 27, 2010
Manchester
The plan is to do a bit of both really I want see as much of the scenery as I can, where as my friend would like to just chill out for a while, so more than likely that we will do some short hikes in between setting up camp at night to get the best of both.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd be tempted to get a bus round to Balmaha and then pick up the WHW along the eastern shore, once you get up past Rowardennan you should be able to find a spot to tuck yourselves into for a few days.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
As mentioned, get a bus to Rowardennan, road end, then walk the WHW and check out the Rowchoish bothy etc. You can also get the ferry back over to Ardlui, you raise the flag and the ferryman comes over. Then you could walk over to Arrochar and do the Cobbler and bivvy out in one of the many howffs up there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE