Loch Lomond, 19th - 21st September.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Last weekend, I took Mrs C and the kids for their first trip to Loch Lomond. The weather was fantastic, and after we got set up on Inchconnachan we proceeded to have a very relaxed weekend.

Here are the pics:

Setting off, in progress and arriving:

We arrived just as it was getting dark and the place that I wanted taken by some people in a cruiser, so we camped a little further over on the headland.

The next morning we were visited by some swans, and then by some ducks. The swans freaked Nathan out a bit, as he is only five, and they were about the same size as him. At one point I had to do my lion tamer act with a folding chair to keep them out of his breakfast.

The stove wasn't working properly, so I had to use the fire for everything. I wasn't unhappy about this. My old firebox is getting to the end of it's like, and I can't find the same type to replace, so I'm looking for someone to make me one in stainless steel.

I found a good place for the hammocks too, just behind the lavvu.

While Mrs C had a kip in the hammock in the afternoon, me and the lads had a paddle around the island.

We even had a swim, quite brief in my case, but Mrs C is wanting to start wild swimming ( when I was a lad, we called it "swimming" , so she stayed in for quite a bit.

I took some pics of Li'l Cumbrian #2 as the sun went down:

That night we had a barbeque, and then relaxed around the fire.

The following morning was lovely.

After a relaxed breakfast, we packed up and returned to Cumbria, after a fantastic weekend away.

Mrs C doesn't paddle that often, but always seems to enjoy it when she does.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Looks like you had a great trip thanks for sharing, i really enjoyed my last visit to Lomond

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Lovely photos.
My sister does quite a bit of wild swimming she's got a good book on places to go and info on strength of current etc

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Thanks for the replies everyone, I couldn't have had a better weekend to introduce my family to Scottish canoe camping. My eldest son, Evan, has been to Scotland with me twice before, but the first time he came with me I managed to make him swim in the Border Esk, but a few weeks ago he had his first solo paddle weekend on Loch Ken and really enjoyed it.

The Lake District looks a lovely place. I like your cooking set up. Real neat and won't burn the ground. The water must be real cold in those deep lakes though.

Joe, the Lake District is lovely, but on this trip we were in Scotland. Loch Lomond is only a 3 1/2 hour drive for us though from Cumbria. My BBQ / firebox is a fantastic piece of kit, but I think that it was designed for the occasional BBQ on the beach rather than the hundreds of BBQs and campfires that I've subjected it to. It's stood up well, although it's starting to buckle now and it's held together with a tent peg where a bolt hole has corroded away. I work in the nuclear industry, so I'm going to have a word with one of our suppliers to see if they can knock me one up in stainless steel.

Cheers, Michael.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Lovely photos. Looks like you all had a great time. It's fair put me in the mood as well.

I work in the nuclear industry, so I'm going to have a word with one of our suppliers to see if they can knock me one up in stainless steel.

Inconel or Hastelloy would do too. Cladding strip is handy stuff. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE