Loch Awe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
I'll be spending New Year at Loch Awe, and I intend to make at least one night out in the woods, and maybe hire a canoe, or ask Mrs Santa for an inflatable canoe... Any advice on good spots, or places to visit?

N

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi Nyayo

Spent a week on the banks of Lock Awe about 8 years ago, some fantastic paddling we visited a couple of small islands in the loch that might be good for a few nights out, cant remember any names now though.
Also good fishing.
Beware though the water is very, very cold once you get away from the shallows so make sure you wear your buoyancy aid.
For something a little different visit the local hydro electric plant I found it interesting, not so the wife and kids.

Have a good trip and enjoy New Year.

Pothunter.

B

bushyboo

Hi Nyayo
the whole of loch awe is beautifull Kilchurn castle is a good place to visit so is the old kirk in loch awe village if your thinking of camping out theres a nice spot on the north shore between kilchrenan and inverinan theres a small bridge with railing either side and a waterfall on the right they have just made the road wider so you can park at the bridge then a short walk down to the loch theres a nice spot if you keep going to the right or if you get a canoe theres lots of islands plenty with ruins
hope this helps

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Had a holiday on the banks of loch awe a few years ago, beautiful place. We hired a boat from portinnisherrich, though they may not be open when you go...
Ben cruachan is worth a visit, though it chucked it down when I climbed it..
Good fishing on the loch too....

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I spent a fantastic long weekend at Loch Awe a few years ago. We stayed in, what was then, Forestry Commission lodges at Inverinan on the north shore. Near there was the most superb piece of oak woodland where you could see evidence of charcoal hearths , coppicing etc. We had canoes with us and paddled across to a small island with a castle on it. All along the shore there were opportunities to stop on the shore for picnice, or just a brew. But, as has been said, watch out for the temperature of the water. It's very cold, even in summer. Have fun! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE