Loch Awe, The Return.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Nick and I left West Cumbria early on Friday morning, picked the canoes up and met Tony ( Peterlee Paddler ) at Penrith before an uneventful journey north to Loch Awe. After meeting Rhod, who told us a good place to park the cars for the weekend, we left Dalavich at three o’clockish and headed north up the western side of the loch.

P4030025.jpg

P4030027.jpg

It was a bright afternoon, with a blustery wind blowing behind us from the south. After crossing the bay to Rubha Barr nam Breacadh, I stopped for a look around and found this shelter.

P4030031.jpg

P4030030.jpg

It would have been quite a good place to camp if we hadn’t just set off. I put the sail up on my canoe and soon caught Nick and Tony up.

IMGP5135.jpg

We’d planned an easy introduction for our first day, so we pulled in at a little peninsula just west of Eilean an t-Slinne,

IMGP5137.jpg

IMGP5141.jpg

and set up camp.
I phoned my wife and she told me that my paddle from Lloyd had arrived in the post that morning, about three hours after I’d left. This was my first bit of bad timing on the trip. There was lots of firewood around, so the night’s supply was soon gathered. With plenty of birch trees in the area, I collected a pocketful of birchbark and soon had a blaze going using my firesteel. A bite to eat and a few drinks later and the first day was over.

Saturday morning started off showery and windy and swiftly got worse. We managed to grab a quick breakfast and get packed up and away before the real rain and wind started.

P4040038.jpg

P4040041.jpg

Continuing north, we paddled along side the Taychreggan Hotel on it’s headland and then passed under the power lines.

P4040042.jpg

P4040043.jpg

The heavy rain continued and the wind picked up, so we stopped for a brew with some pine trees as a windbreak, and a good view of the islands.

IMGP5146.jpg

While we were having our brew, we decided to change our plans because of the weather, and stop at the first good campsite we found on one of the islands.

P4040046.jpg

We crossed to the Black Islands first, but couldn’t find anything suitable, so we paddled to Inishail and had a look about. There were some interesting graves there,

P4040047.jpg

P4040048.jpg

P4040049.jpg

P4040051.jpg

but unfortunately the only part of the island that wasn’t a bog was where the graves were.
It was here that we first experienced the litter that was to blight the rest of the trip, but would get much worse on the north eastern shore.

By this time, the rain had lessened, but the wind showed no sign of abating. We looked for somewhere to camp on Eilean a' Chomharaidh, Fraoch Eilean, and Eilean Beith, but dismissed them due to being too exposed, rocky, boggy or mosquito ridden. This was the least fun part of the trip, with a big swell being driven by the high winds, and the water going over the gunwales of Nick and Tony’s canoe on several occasions. After dismissing the islands as places to camp, we ran to the eastern shore with the wind at our backs to the bay behind Rubha Dubhairt.

P4040052.jpg

P4040056.jpg

This proved to be a litter strewn bog inhabited by mosquitoes, so we turned the point ( where the wind span my canoe as I rounded it )

P4040063.jpg

and continued NE looking for a suitable place to camp. The amount of litter along this shore was quite depressing. The beach where the men who had unfortunately drowned recently were camping has been turned into a shrine to them, but I wonder if they’d have approved of all the floral tributes, flags and football tops left to mark their passing that will be left to rot in a favourite place of theirs.

P4040069.jpg

I often complain about the lack of access in the Lake District, but it seems to keep the litter throwing population away. There is so little rubbish on Derwentwater ( my local lake ) that I pick up any that I find. To collect all the rubbish on the shores of Loch Awe I’d need a team of people paddling a flotilla of skips.
Eventually, after checking out and dismissing several places, we found somewhere that was a bit more exposed than we’d have liked, but the best of a bad lot. The wind started to drop as we set up camp, and the sky cleared, so much that it turned into a very pleasant evening. Once the fire was lit and we’d dried out a bit, things started to look up.

P4050078.jpg

P4050077.jpg

We found some enormous Horse's Hoof fungus ( with a SFA for scale ):

P4050083.jpg

And settled ourselves in:

P4050082.jpg

P4050110.jpg

On Sunday, we had a chat about what to do. The original plan was to paddle back to Dalavich, but although the wind had dropped since yesterday, it was still strong from the south, and it was decided that rather than struggle back into a headwind, we would spend the day relaxing and fishing, and get back to the cars by other means the next day. At three in the afternoon, I thought that I’d nip over the half mile of water to Loch Awe village shop for an ice cream. Once out of the shelter of the land, the wind really started to whip up, and I struggled to get over to the steamboat slipway due to the headwind. At least this little trip out justified our decision not to paddle back. I disembarked ( quite precariously ) from the canoe and crossed over the railway bridge to the shop, only to find that it had closed at half one. I could have cried with disappointment. The journey back was much easier with the wind behind me,

P4050090.jpg

and I collected a canoefull of firewood for the night on an island just offshore before joining Nick and Tony at their fishing.
Since there was nothing biting, Tony and I got into my canoe and tried fishing offshore. We paddled out, and let the wind blow us down towards Kilchurn Castle. It was just past the castle that Tony got the only bite of the trip, a decent sized pike. We didn’t have a landing net, so I paddled towards the shore ( with the pike swimming alongside me ) while Tony played the fish. Disaster struck about twenty metres offshore when the pike bit through the line ( there was no steel trace on it ). Disappointed, we had a few more casts before heading back to camp, where Nick had even less luck than us.

After another pleasant night, we packed up the next day, cleaned up the camp, Nick and Tony had a final try at fishing

P4060128.jpg

and then we paddled to the railway bridge near Kilchurn Castle, where a 100 metre portage along a path got our canoes and packs to the car park. Rhod sorted us out with a taxi number, and Tony and I went back to get the cars while Nick stayed behind with the canoes and packs. An uneventful journey ( apart from hitting Glasgow at rush hour ) got us home just in time for a takeaway pizza, and I finally got to see my new paddle.

While I enjoyed the trip, if I ever return to Loch Awe I think that I’ll stay at the southern end, like I did last year. The northern end looks more interesting on the map, but the amount of litter and the main road and railway line running along the northern shore means that, in my opinion, it can’t compete with the much quieter and cleaner southern end.

Hopefully, Tony will add his comments and pics to this. Although his camera isn't waterproof, it survived a soaking on the Saturday.

Cheers, Michael.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great trip report Michael, I've just followed your route on Anquet and felt like I was almost there with you.

Shame about the weather and the litter but it still sounded like you had a good time of it.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Looks like you had a great trip, shame about the litter, Inishail is a nice little Island steaped in history.

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
Nice blog Michael, summoning it up quite nicely. And accurately (well, apart from your description of my pike.) I have to say that your 'decent sized' is a fishermans 'gert big mahoosive', or so the story was by the time I got home!
My girlfriend reckons we were lucky not to be pulled under by the pike-awe monster :27:
I won't dwell on the bad bit but feel I must reiterate Michael's comments about litter. Truly shocking and more prevalent than I have ever experienced in the great country that is Scotland :(

One thing that did take me by surprise was the lack of good hammock spots on the islands, considering the prolification and size of them. Sure, most places were 'hammock-able (is that a word?), camp-able and bivi-able, but not 'nice-ably' in most cases. The south end wins that vote. Firewood, however, was abundant everywhere
Someone asked about 'Loch Awe v Cronje'. I'd have to put my money on the NC (coupled with Michael's paddling prowess :notworthy ).
It's a veritable speedboat, I tell ya!
Nick and I (16' MR Freedom) spent most of Saturday assuming that we were going swimming , and despite the three foot or so swell with the heavy rain :umbrella: not quite helping, I couldn't help but think that Michael, solo in his 17 footer, was not having such a bad time of it.
This theory was, however, disproved upon disembarking onto the camp-spot that evening;- the stability and freeboard of a solo 17-footer was offset by the amount of Michael's kit :yikes: The previously mentioned 'flotilla of skips' was not available due to being pressganged by Michael to store his cargo!
Sticking an SFA into a tree was mentioned; I have the wide-angled version of that piccie which I took as I too was horrified at seeing the axe go in!
However, I need not have been alarmed as Michael takes, and cares for, outdoor responsibility as much as I do.

I'll try a few photos but this is my first time so if they fail, don't sue me ...

LochAwe04_09012.jpg

obligatory SOTP shot

LochAwe04_09007.jpg

the QE2 under power

LochAwe04_09010.jpg

Michael, not posing, surely ...

LochAwe04_09035.jpg

another candid shot, obviously, as Michael ain't the type to shout 'Tony, take a pic of me looking good right now'. no way ...

A good four days had by all and thanks to Michael, not forgetting Nick my silent partner who steered for the full four daze, er, I mean days .

A doffing of hats is due to Rhod for his help and advice that went a long way into securing the logistical side of the trip.

Cheers.

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
If anyone can tell me how to post photos so that the words do not go off the (right hand) side of the screen (mine's a 19" widescreen), then I'd be grateful.
Cheers.
Shewie came to the rescue for this query, so all is now sorted. Thanks Rich.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Sounds like a great trip, Glad The Cumbrian backed up Tonys "the one that got away" story he was telling us all round the camp fire at comrie :D, was very much the loch awe monster, teeth like jaws, car number plates caught in the mooth, and even a clatter with the paddle didnt make it slow down towing the boat up and down the loch twice ;) I think he said at one point he was gonna put his mora in his teeth and jump in after the bugger and wrestle it ashore.

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
PMSL @ stooboy :lmao:
Cheers mate, didn't realise I was so graphic about it :rolleyes:
I guess I was still reeling about leaving that cock pheasant on the A85 :theyareon

Got your PM btw. Hope to see you(s) on Friday.

Cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE