Loch Ard Canoe Camp

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
We headed out from the put in for a short 25min paddle out to the small island, 200m/50m, Eilean Gorm. We paddled out tandem, all never been in a boat before. I rafted up all the boats except mine in the morning and we flew back. They then wetsuited up, choice, and had a capsize/wet session just off the beach.

Headed back the next morning, then rock climbed. This was a school trip I was leading. The first years were up atn 6,30am, exploring and lighting fire using old man's beard and birch bark.

They were awoken throughout the night by a goose walking past their tent and a hunting owl, roosting above their tent. I found pellets at the base of a tree near their tent. Great fun. We stayed one night but they asked to stay longer. No phone signal but a wifi one. The owner approached us in the carpark the next morning to apologise for the litter on the island, there was a small bit if human watse and very little litter. I thanked her and showed her litter we had picked up, plus our own. She encouraged us back. Unfortuantely some fisherman use the bothy as a drinking den in the summer. As we were there during the week, we had the island to ourselves.

The beach and boats.

IMAG0915.jpg

Ewok village camp.

IMAG0913.jpg

View from the Bothy

IMAG0898.jpg

IMAG0903.jpg

IMAG0916.jpg

Last edited:

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Hi,

It's only 45mins from school, so handy. We are using it for after school paddles too. We have 6 kayaks but borrowed those opens.

Going to the local Urban Wildlife reserve on friday for tree ID, Debris shelter building, Forrest salad forage and BBQ.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
The S1 girls would not go in the bothy. Only when I lit the tea lights and sat inside myself did they feel comfortable going in. The blue tents were higear ones. VG tents but the poles are a tight fit through sleeves, they caught on the brass eyes.

We got a 2014 Lottery grant for £2000, so have all out own kit except sleeping bags.

We have a 'wild camp only' phillosophy.

We had 25 S1 pupils hillwalking today and the rest over the next few days, so all 145 will have done a day hillwalk.

Outdoor Learning is taking off.

l3wis2000

Jun 2, 2011
Inverclyde
Looks fantastic, would love to have access to some of these islands on the Lochs. Had a look at those Canadian Canoes last year for taking the kids on a paddle but was put off by some stories about them being unstable, how did you find them?
Also looking for a wee trip to Loch Chon in the next couple of weeks. With the ban on camping at Loch Lomond are Chon, Ard, and Katrine drawing some of the old Loch Lomond (how can i put it) neds?

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Not seen any camping as such, still early till July/Aug. The open canoes are much more stable than you may think. Pity you missed the recent come and try it sessions last saturday at Speirs Wharf Glasgow.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE