Loch Achray and Black Water Canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Had a wee exploratory paddle here today.

Loch Achray Canoeing 03-14. by Scotstechy, on Flickr

Fresh snow to dust Ben Venue

The river Black Water was high, 6ft, tree choked initially -strainers - but got better.

Three different lichens on a hardwood at Achray Church.

Tarp up for a windbreak at lunch.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Not cold enough for gloves. The odd brief shower. Warm when the sun came out. Paddling buddy was trying new drug for Renaulds syndrome - cold hands in winter - and did not need gloves. Re-opened spring and winter canoeing/kayaking.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice pics Nick

The campsite looks a bit soggy. I had a wander down to Drunkie a couple of weeks ago, it looks a nice quiet place for a paddle and camp but access is tricky with the forest drive.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
That site was wet. I can see why there was lots of rubbish, too close to the road. Drunkie is a more interesting loch. Still prefer Loch Ard, more variety around the shoreline.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not cold enough for gloves. The odd brief shower. Warm when the sun came out. Paddling buddy was trying new drug for Renaulds syndrome - cold hands in winter - and did not need gloves. Re-opened spring and winter canoeing/kayaking.

Better day yet :D
We've been down in Galloway and the wind would have cut you in two, and it's been baltic in my garden today too.

Those lichens give yellow, incidentally :)

M

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Canoeing is definitely something I'm interested in long term. I'd love to go back to Scotland and spend time seeing our lochs from a different perspective. It's not something I'm going to do or can do any time soon, but is it an expensive hobby?
Edit: And really great pictures, by the way. :)

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Canoeing is definitely something I'm interested in long term. I'd love to go back to Scotland and spend time seeing our lochs from a different perspective. It's not something I'm going to do or can do any time soon, but is it an expensive hobby?

It's Only really one investment then you're done, our canoe, paddles, boyuncy aids, and dry bags cost about £1200-1500 all in, for two. We went with a plastic bottomed canoe, great quality and bombproof, been using it for 2 and a half years, been out for about 25 nights in it and covered many miles. I love it, it was well worth the money and will last me many more years. I would've gone with wood, but knowing me I'd brake it, and they're more expensive although they look fantastic. All in its fantastic, but costly to start :).

As is said before mate, great trip report! :)

Last edited:

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com

Once you buy an open canoe, some essentials, maybe £500.

I have 5 paddles, some bought, some presents, but you only need two - in case you drop one.

You are right about perspectives. After viewing wee Ben Venue with snow low down, it makes me want to climb it. As you paddle below mountains you have time to see details.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
And there's something about the image of just sailing across the water in quiet contemplation that I really like. I also want to try horse riding, but that's a whole other matter...

Anyway, very inspirational report.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Lovely report and pics, Achray is a fantastic place. "Ben Venue - from a canoe!" Have spent many a happy hour throwing stones on to the ice there in winter for the strange almost sound effect noise it makes. (And watching my mad JRT go skittering after them!)

On the canoe front THOaken many places hire canoes and kit which makes it cheaper to see if you like it. Or if you join a local club you can try it out and have access to cheaper gear and get first dibs on 2nd hand kit.

Cheers for posting,
GB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE