'Locations' forum?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
G

Ginja

Greetings ... just wanted to get your thoughts on the idea of a 'Locations' forum - ie. somewhere for people to exchange information about good locations/places in which to practice bushcraft, etc.

I'm fairly certain this is a big issue for most of us, and I'm also fairly sure that most of us have our own favourite spots. Hence, it might be nice to have a forum where we can swap information about such places - ie. maps, photographs, sketches, ideal bivvy sites, flora & fauna, do's and don'ts, and most useful perhaps - contact information, such as phone numbers of local landowners, rangers and wardens, police, etc.

Clearly, most of this could be accommodated within the existing forums (or should I say fora?!), but I think the real benefit here would come from bringing some of this information together, to provide users with a 'one stop shop' for accessing such information, and gaining some 'feeling' for a particular place they may wish to visit.

And with all that new access land to explore, I'm sure there's plenty of potential and inspiration for such a forum. Let me know what you think ...

Cheers,

G

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Well, just gotta go outside. Then there's 2,2 ha of space. With a fair amount of trees. :wink: :biggthump

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
i think a loctions area would be a good idea. You would have to be careful about posting anyones contact information without their consent though.

i also think it should be a members only area. (NOT paying members only) i mean people that have registered with the site like the meetup forum.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Wayne said:
i think a loctions area would be a good idea. You would have to be careful about posting anyones contact information without their consent though.

i also think it should be a members only area. (NOT paying members only) i mean people that have registered with the site like the meetup forum.
Just in case some of you hadn't noticed and used cookies to log in, a number of the forums here are only visible and available to registered users. The current meetups thread is one such thread.

G

Ginja

Greetings ... yeah, think the idea of making it a members' area is fine. Take your point about contact information - though I assume it would be okay to post publicly available info, such as the contact number for the local ranger or warden, police station, etc (possibly not landowners - at least not without their consent).

I do think it would be a useful forum - especially if people were encouraged to post under a place name (eg. High Peak, New Forest, etc) so that users would be able to quickly and easily scan the thread headings and add their own info, or search the threads for hints/tips/contacts posted by other members (think map cuttings/sketches would be very useful here).

Not trying to take the fun out of finding those perfect bivvy sites! Just think it might open our eyes to other possibilities beyond our own 'backyards' - some of which may be surprisingly local, others which may be worth a visit on holiday, long weekend, etc ...

Any comments/queries/criticisms would be well received ...

Cheers, G

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I think some people would be a bit reluctant to share their places for fear of someone else getting their permission withdrawn. I'm not speaking from experience as I too am looking for new places to practice bushcraft and being fairly unsuccessful at the minute. The other option is that people have been only given permission for themselves and can't let anyone else in on it.

Just think the doom and gloom side of this for a minute but I would love a thread to share places to go as it would be really useful.

There was a 'campsites which allow fires' thread which would also fit this idea but the problem seemed to be that hardly any do (all the more reason for a list of the ones which do I suppose).

Bill

G

Ginja

Cheers Bill ... well kind of cheers (joke!), as I think you may have hit on a very important stumbling block there ... hmmm ... I can imagine that a lot of people do have individual, or exclusive permission to use a particular piece of land (that's certainly the case for me when I'm in Hereford - though not so in The Peaks, which is my local turf). And we certainly wouldn't want to ruin anyone's relationship with landowners, etc - not that anyone would let us, more's the point!

Maybe it could focus more on public access land - tricky for building fires, etc, I know - but perhaps it would just be a case of recommending good walking routes, good bivvy sites, etc, and leaving the rest up to the common sense and discretion of BCUK members. Or is that a recipe for trouble? Nah, I don't think so ...

We'll see ... definitely some food for thought here.

Thanks again,

G

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE