loan of flintlock pistol. or possible trade for item of same description

greatbear

Apr 8, 2013
rotherham
Hi guys im needing the loan of a de activated or replica flintlock pistol. the item is needed for a photoshoot for a history website.
I could also do with some lengths of slow match.
if you have an item which may fit the bill you wouldn't mind lending to me id look after it really well. and likewise if you have such a thing you are not using or just sitting in the mancave I may be able to come up with an interesting swap for you. any help much appreciated cheers guys.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There really aren't any "deactivated" flintlocks - there is no need to deactivate one, originals can be owned legally without deactivation (they only need to go on your ticket if you shoot them). Sadly mine are the real deal so would be a little expensive for your needs :)

greatbear

Apr 8, 2013
rotherham
wow that is something I didn't know. thank you for that looks like am still trying
There really aren't any "deactivated" flintlocks - there is no need to deactivate one, originals can be owned legally without deactivation (they only need to go on your ticket if you shoot them). Sadly mine are the real deal so would be a little expensive for your needs :)

greatbear

Apr 8, 2013
rotherham
weve managed to get hold of a very tiny pocket flintlock but it don't quite fit the bill. as its handle and fittings are all silver. and its about a quarter the size of the one in british reds photo so still looking guys.
we've managed to get hold of these fantastic swords. borrowed from the models brother. the pistol from one of his friends.
but we could really do with something like the one in british reds photo

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
There is a pan on the side with a small hole leading to the barrel.
It's covered by a lid called the frizzen.
This keeps the powder in, and gives some protection from the elements.
When the hammer holding the flint falls, it strikes the face of the frizzen, which flips it open, and allows sparks to fall onto the powder, this causes the "flash in the pan" which goes into the barrel and ignites the main charge.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just so Graham - with a little more detail

fl-lock.gif

The pan has a hole in it that goes through to the base of the barrel

The pan has black powder placed in it

The frizzen is a pivoting spring loaded cover for the pan and made of steel

The frizzen is closed over the pan covering the powder (preventing it blowing away)

A flint is placed in the jaws of the cock (padded with leather and screwed in place)

The cock is pulled back and a sear engaged ("cocking" the gun)

When the trigger is pulled, the sear is released and the cock slams forward

The flint slams into the steel frizzen pan - this simultaneously opens the frizzen and creates a shower of sparks.

The sparks drop into the pan igniting the priming charge

The priming charge burns through the touch hole into the main charge in the barrel

The gun goes bang!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Brilliant just what I was after thanks chaps.

Given all those actions how often does it not go bang when supposed to?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They were unreliable for sure - common causes of failure were

Pan not igniting
Pan igniting but not passing through touch hole into main charge (a flash in the pan)
Damp powder (particularly in inclement weather)
Powder blowing away (!)
Going off at half cock (not cocking the cock properly and leaving it in safe mode)

They work well on a nice dry range when shooting for fun - but after being carried loaded for two weeks, shooting in wind and rain in a hurried environment?

Better than a sharp stick for sure - but the percussion cap was a huge advance - it eliminate the pan, the frizzen and flint!

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
With all that in mind I can imagine the duels of old being even more horrific than first thought. I gather accuracy/velocity was not the best either?

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
great discussion this guys but still no closer to to finding one. could ask at royal armouries I suppose lol

Do you have any antiques shops in the area, particularly any that stock militaria, who may be able to loan one to you for a fee? My other thought was theatrical prop hire company, or may be your local theatre? Maybe even a fancy dress shop if you can get away with it looking a bit plasticky.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Fancy dress shops? Also are there actually companies that provide/hire props for film sets etc?

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
What period are you portraying? Can be quite important if you want the right look.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE