Lixada and Trangia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
Good Afternoon All,

I treated myself to a trangia meths burner for my next trip, I plan on using home dehydrated food so I wanted a long slow cook.

My current set up is one of the large Lixada wood burning boxes and a 14cm billy can and a crusader set for quick brews.

So my question is this, has anyone modified the larger Lixada to make an insert to take a meths burner, if so how did it go?
A supplementary question if I may, what would the best gap between burner and billy be? My gut says 25mm but I could be way out.

Kind regards,

Ollie

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Good Afternoon All,

I treated myself to a trangia meths burner for my next trip, I plan on using home dehydrated food so I wanted a long slow cook.

My current set up is one of the large Lixada wood burning boxes and a 14cm billy can and a crusader set for quick brews.

So my question is this, has anyone modified the larger Lixada to make an insert to take a meths burner, if so how did it go?
A supplementary question if I may, what would the best gap between burner and billy be? My gut says 25mm but I could be way out.

Kind regards,

Ollie
Buschpirat on YouTube is using something similar, not sure of the make of his box though.

Maybe see if you can find out what the distance between burner and pan bottom is on a Trangia. Surely that would be optimal. :)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Good Afternoon All,

Kind regards,

Ollie
Inch is a sweet spot for a trangia, I do not know about other types.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
So, I managed to find a scrap of aluminium plate in the shed which looked like an eligible candidate for chopping up so down to the basement with tin snips I went.

The distance from the sitting ring to the nozzles on the trangia is about half an inch and the gap I needed was about an inch so an inch and a half from the top of the lixada went the slots, about 15mm with the mk1 laser eye ball and a drill and we soon had 4 equal slots.

The plate itself was about 12cm each side with a little tab to pop in the stove and a 70mm hole filed in the middle to sit the burner in.

It does make setting up a little more fiddly than normal but I figure, if it's cold enough that I don't have the dexterity to put the stove together I shouldn't be playing about with meths, I can imagine shivering it everywhere before lighting.

With a litre of cold water from the tap it took around 15 minutes to boil, you'll see from the pictures that I moved it outside, I didn't want the wife coming home to a house that smelt of meths.

Overall, pretty happy with it, now just need a chance to use it in anger.

20200606_140842.jpg
20200606_140900.jpg20200606_141300.jpg20200606_142823.jpg

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@SaraR
Should you mean the German YouTube Bushpirat, it's better that you don't understand him so well.
That guy bought some overpriced Fjälräven clothing, stopped shaving himself and started producing YouTube videos.

He would have better invested his money in Kochanskis book, a used German field uniform, a matchbox and a Hultafors OK4, and he better should spend his time in the woods by learning the basics about bushcraft instead of talking his nonsense in a camera.

The guy is a bloody greenhorn.
Every 13 years old German boy scout is better informed about bushcraft than this guy.

Sorry, just my opinion.

Thanks for your kind attention!

:cigar:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
@SaraR
Should you mean the German YouTube Bushpirat, it's better that you don't understand him so well.
That guy bought some overpriced Fjälräven clothing, stopped shaving himself and started producing YouTube videos.

He would have better invested his money in Kochanskis book, a used German field uniform, a matchbox and a Hultafors OK4, and he better should spend his time in the woods by learning the basics about bushcraft instead of talking his nonsense in a camera.

The guy is a bloody greenhorn.
Every 13 years old German boy scout is better informed about bushcraft than this guy.

Sorry, just my opinion.

Thanks for your kind attention!

:cigar:
I found his videos when I was looking for something else (not really bushcraft related) and watched a few because I thought his German was very easy to understand.

I obviously noticed the Trangia burner and hadn't seen it used like that before, so it stuck in my mind and that's why I mentioned it here, in case the OP wanted to see someone using a similar setup and maybe get some ideas from that.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I didn't watch this video or forgot it, because I am less interested in Hobos and Trangias.

In my opinion the guy is such a greenhorn that he is able to recommend things without realising that the stuff doesn't work properly. If that's here the case I don't know, because I used a Trangia set only for two weeks and 20 years ago...

I usually cook over open wood fire or use a gas stove if there is a risk for forest fires, what is the only tolerated way in southern France during the summer season, as well in the area around Berlin, where we also have incredibly dry pine woods.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I didn't watch this video or forgot it, because I am less interested in Hobos and Trangias.

In my opinion the guy is such a greenhorn that he is able to recommend things without realising that the stuff doesn't work properly. If that's here the case I don't know, because I used a Trangia set only for two weeks and 20 years ago...

I usually cook over open wood fire or use a gas stove if there is a risk for forest fires, what is the only tolerated way in southern France during the summer season, as well in the area around Berlin, where we also have incredibly dry pine woods.
I don't know where it originated but it seems more and more popular to use the Trangia burner on its own with some smaller stand. Makes sense if you want a sturdy and simple IMS burner that's capable of simmering as well as boiling, but otherwise there are smaller more lightweight meths burners out there.

As long as you have a good windscreen, I think almost any stable* setup would work. :)

* Stable is important because it's amazing just how big a burning puddle you get from knocking over a lit Trangia...

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The distance between pot and burner is important too. If I remember right, it's 2 cm. But I am unsure in this case.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think it depends on the burner, but it's obviously that people use rounded numbers.

The best would be to try it out with the own system.

Perhaps it's theoreticaly 2,246 cm?
But in windy conditions only 1,864 cm???

:)

If one carrys the meth only a few meters that probably doesn't matter. But if somebody wants to carry meth for three weeks the question becomes pretty interesting.

The best Germans to ask that question are the ultra light trekking freaks.
Does anybody know the name of the British ultra light trekking forum?

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
The purple stuff? Does it burn clean?

I was recommended bioethanol. Not sure if it burns cleaner or hotter.
I've got clear methylated spirits, but I *think* the purple stuff is fine. I've also used pure methanol, which burnt cleaner but faster and hotter. I mean you'll get soot regardless it's more a question of how much :) Don't know about bioethanol. Try it and report back!

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
As far as I understood the bioethanol is different than Spiritus and worse in use with the Trangia which was constructed before bioethanol entered the market.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE