Living Room Skills!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 6, 2013
Salisbury
OK so I am currently staying up on my own with the newborn for a couple of hours after my wife has gone to bed, so she gets some rest. He's a good sleeper which gives me time to do my own thing, but I can't leave the room as I'm watching the baby. So far I've been catching up on Discovery shows (Dual Survival, Man Woman Wild etc etc) but wondered if there is something more practical I could be practicing, however it can't be noisy (will wake the baby) or messy (like carving) that will mess the room up. Any ideas?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was about to say knotting, and copper_head beat me to it :D

You can practice it just with boot laces, so no mess, no noise and no bother :)
Small sewing projects too, just keep it all in one box. Leatherwork like keyfobs, small pouches and the like.

Hope Mum and baby are thriving, and you're getting enough sleep too :D

cheers,
Toddy

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
How about making some soft shackles? Easy to do and clean, minimal kit, no noise and they're really handy things to have around. Loads of good tutorials on y'tube..............And as Toddy says, keep it all in one small box and you can take it up and leave it as often as you need for the little'un!

Hope you're all happy and healthy, and good on you for giving the wife a rest :)

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
my kids used sleep through all sorts of diy, I think I was more noisy than them :)...

but your wife getting some sleep is more important ...

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I was gonna also say knots so instead in a similar thread, weaving is brilliant and silent and learning all the old chinese macrame knots is mind boggling

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
How about netting? Get a netting needle and you can soon knock up a sein net for rabbiting. When the Mrs is awak you can carve a netting needle in 30 minutes.

Jun 6, 2013
Salisbury
Some great ideas. Thanks everyone! All is well with Mum and baby, he's actually a really good boy! Knots not a bad idea (no pun intended), I have some sailing skills (day skipper) and was a scout (a long time ago) but have let them lapse a bit so I like the idea of reacquainting myself with a few knots and lashings and I don't think I ever got as far as soft shackles (not sure they even existed in my day!!!) so I will definitely look that up. Weaving also sounds like a good idea and I have no experience of that at all so would be interesting. Ooh and netting too, I hadn't thought of that but it would be useful for fishing too I would expect. Thankyou!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE