Living in a yurt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Wayne said:
Yurts need plenty of air flow. Felt is not best suited for damp still air in woodland.

same with a teepee but it should be ok if your living in it with a fire going all the time.. otherwise it will start going green and funky round the bottom! :yuck:

outdoorcode

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2005
Halton West Uk
www.outdoorcode.co.uk
mark a. said:
The big question is, though - can you get an internet connection to a Yurt?

Yup I could, I can share the farmhouses connection for broadband, electricity from a farm building, water from the private bore hole so I would have most things I need... perhaps working from home would be an idea :D

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
A farm has a number of loopholes that you can use.
If you can class yourself as "agricultural workforce" then you will get away with alot.
If you have the landowners permission, then i say go for it. live as low key as you can. Which might mean parking your car elsewhere and walking in. But draws alot less attention. In my experience the landowners permission is tha hardest bit.
The cogs at the council turn very slowly, so if you do get reported (which is how they generally find out, - some dissgruntled dog walker...) then it will take them a while to do anything about it, and I believe they are obliged to rehouse you, or find you somewhere else to pitch. Generally they will turn a blind eye unless someone has cause to complain. Then you have the right to appeal which strings things out a bit longer.
Alot of farms seem to have the odd caravan tucked away inhabited by staff that couldn't really afford a flat or room nearby.
Go for it.
Cheers
Rich

Abbe is probably right about a couple of things. First, if you rent the ground (even for a nominal fee) then the person you rent off should not be liable if you put up your Yurt. Secondly, if you think it may be an issue, don't tell anyone. it's a bit like the laws of access in Ireland. If you just go and walk anywhere you like in Ireland, generally, no-one will say a word to you unless you break something. But, if you ask permission, you will almost certainly be told "No", as the land owner then becomes liable if you injure yourself, as he gave permission. I would seriously think about the social experiment route. There are numerous examples of people going and living in, for example, an Iron age Round House for a year. Simply make a video diary of your daily routine, and keep notes. Go speak to someone at your local University and tell them what you propose (Don't tell them your location yet though) and see what they say.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Andrew, it would be good if you keep us abreast of your findings, it will make a great blogg like thread, very useful for other people.

I hope you manage to sort it all out mate, I've seen a few yurts and they would be great to live in, well, as long as they were big enough, or you had a two yurt system like Dave...Bedroom and living area.

Good luck with it ;)

outdoorcode

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2005
Halton West Uk
www.outdoorcode.co.uk
I will keep you updated if anything comes of it, its something we have been thinking of for a while, but it may come down tohow practical it will be with regards to land.

On another note I have just recieved a package addressed to Andrew (the Yurt Man), outdoorcode etc, which got me a little excited obviously as its not often I'm called the Yurt Man, and upon opening found a brilliant book called shelter all about various types of shelters from yurts to cave dwellings to cabins ... but I didn't have the foggiest who sent it , till I noticed
from mozzy
on the back of the packaging in little letters....

So a huge thanks to Lord Farquhar, I'm honestly touched that someone went out of their way to do something for me

You sir, are a star ! I'm going to be knackered tomorrow as guess what I'm reading in bed tonight !

Andrew

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Fluxus said:
sident there eg - caring for livestock , charcoal burning etc.

If you are serious about taking on the planning system you should read this book:
Low impact development by Simon Fairlie
More info about the book and other low impact settlements can be found here :http://www.tlio.demon.co.uk/tinkers.htm

Flux

Interesting that you should provide a link to Tinker's Bubble. I visited them several times and my son lived with them for a few months for his school "work experience".

They had constant hassle from the authorities and local residents. They were all drawing benefits which didn't endear them to the locals either (I'm not going to judge them harshly for that myself).

They had bought the land and lived in "benders". Everything on the site was technically non-permanent and they used the woods that they owned to build their dwellings.

Even so they didn't have permission to live there and there was quite a few of them. It took a few years I think but eventually they were evicted. I don't know if they managed to move back in as I no longer live in the area. Judging by the date in the book of 1997 I’d say that they did move back in because I think it was 1995 when I met them. If they got back on their land then I'm delighted for them.

My wife met one couple who'd lived there later on by chance in the street and they'd moved into a council house in a small Somerset town.

It's a shame they got kicked out as it was a lifestyle that I was interested in. They weren't exactly my type of people and I disagreed with some of their policies and beliefs but they didn't rob people, hold illegal raves or bother the local community in a negative way. Their camp site was also reasonably well maintained.

It seems that whenever somebody tries to live an alternative lifestyle on our crowded island that the conventional 9 to 5ers will try and stop them.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hello outdoorcode. I'm really pleased to read that you are thinking of trying to live in your yurt. First of all good luck!
Twenty years ago or so a friend and I pitched a tipi in various spots around this country. We were treated with great caution as this was the time of Mrs 'T' and much pressure was on country communitys with the 'traveller'. I'm sure that we were linked with that. I visited Tally valley in wales and was made very welcome although I did not stay there very long. I was quite surprised at how little the people living there had in the way of what I considered every day items, this made me feel quite decadent! I still have a pitch in Wales in a pretty little valley with a stream running through and an old salmon trap. Although my home was shot right through there with a .22 rifle (luckily I was not in as the time!) The canvas still bears the bullet hole.
Closer to home and I have been visited by all sorts of people who stop and want to ask questions. locals were quite anxious to start with as you can imagine.
At one time there were four pitches here of which one now lives in a yurt in The Borders with her family. She has been there for more than five years quietly without any problems. My wife and I are interested in how she will get on with educating her children from home. I think, although I do not know her personally,Toddy would have much in common as their interests seem to follow a similar road. Felt,weaving,living off the land etc.
I now live in a small brick house with a large family. Over the years the tipi has been used as a spare room a holiday cottage and two friends once spent their entire honeymoon in it. At 20, sadly it is getting a little thin and no longer stays up all year.
There you are Outdoorcode, a potted history of my wanderings! I really hope that you find a good pitch. They are certainly out there. All the very best from Swyn.
ps. my friend of 20 years ago now lives part time in NZ and part time in a wood at the bottom of my garden. S

lollywilli

Jul 26, 2011
shropshire
Hi im Lorraine and also wish to live in a yurt with my husband, i need to save till march 2012 to buy one, but im on my way, ive found a local farmer who is going to rent me some land, and enough to grow some spuds !, for my tourer for now. In a year or two i would like to live in a yurt in a wood in or near south shropshire, staying close to young adult daughter, ive read through the posts and found it really usefull, i was wondering how those who have chosen to live in a yurt have found the experience, many thanks

Lorraine;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE