Little whittler

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Took a piece of file from the recent meet & after some filing & polishing, made a little full-tang whittler:

b26319fd.jpg

Don't know what the wood is & the liners are some stuff that was inside a leather case I cut up. The pins are copper brake tube. It's taught me quite a bit & makes me yearn for a belt sander as the scandi grind isn't as flat as it could be

Seems fairly sharp, though, after a lot of stropping & for the money I can't complain! ;)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Looks like a user to me, i'll be pleased to put it through it's paces for you:rolleyes:

I'd be honoured to get your opinion. It's getting nice & shiny now due to all the stropping. I'm going to re-oil the handle but it's designed to be used

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've swapped a rucksack with someone on here for some leather so hoping to make a little sheath for it. Need to work out a way to drill 1mm holes as my Dremel Copy doesn't have the right chuck and my pillar drill doesn't go that small

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Use an awl, much easier and you are not removing material, just parting it, in short order the fibres will close up around the stitching and make for a stronger and much better looking finish.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
What specification is your awl? What do people use for marking the groove that the stitching sits in? Thought I'd try and use a dog comb to mark the stitches as haven't invested in a wheel

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Thanks, Mark. It's such a pity the Le Prevo site is so poor for online ordering but they are well priced. What blade would you recommend for that awl handle for a sheath?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
no prob, yup, it's a pity that the Le Prevo site is a bit behind the times, although saying that, ive never had a problem ordering from them, to start of with you might be better off with the book binders or the scratch awl, if you go for the blade and handle, get a 2" blade.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Nice little whittler Spandit, wish i had been at the meet to see you make the blade!
Bring it with you next month, i would love to see it!:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE