List Your Cold Weather Clothing System

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leatherneck

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2005
U.S.
Hello all. This site is amazing and I have found a lot of great bush craft information through the search function. However, I was wondering if you guys could list what sort of clothing you wear during your winter outings (i.e. base layer, mid-layer, outer-layer, wind/rain layer). And it would especially be great to hear from those of you who were taught by Mors Kochanski on how to dress for cold, arctic conditions. I looked at Abbe Osram's site.......... Finland looks beautiful in the winter. Maybe you could also chime in on how to dress for the winter. Once again, great site.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hi Leatherneck, and welcome to the campfire.
Cold weather clothing is such a massive subject that you're bound to be swamped by information on this subject. It will be dependant on the likelyhood of rain/snow, and if there is good shelter available and many other personal considerations. Last autumn I got hold of a Montane Extreme Smock, which was good enough for every trip out except when it was lashing with rain. Coupled with some thick Ex forces trousers (German or Swiss I think) I never had any real cause for concern - But that was just me doing the rounds, helping out on friends farms in the mountains of Mid Wales. Prior to the smock, an Ex Dutch army parka (shell, goretex liner and fleece liner) did, and still does, for several years.

Where are you located as it might influence the replies you get?

All the best

Ogri the trog

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I became well known for having a rather odd bit of kit at the first ashdown meet up.

I think I've got a fairly versatile system of stuff that has cost very little
Ron hills which go under normal trousers, under something they will keep out rain fairly well.
I have some skying type gloves that are very warm but bulky and don't give you much control. Under these I sometimes wear some motorbike under gloves (which look silver) these get used when cooking etc.
I have a baggy fleece which gets extras added under it for warmth and a waterproof added over it. (jumper or down body warmer).
I then have a motorbike all in one suit which is bulky to carry but once on is comfatable warm very, wind proof, and fairly waterproof and not bad around a fire.

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
If I am out in what I consider real cold (I am pretty thin skinned) I usually wear my old 'Buffalo shirt'. The ones with the fleece inside and pertex outside. Under this I may wear a simple tight fitting cotton t-shirt as a base layer and if a find I am feeling the cold I would pop on a micro fleece (sort of like a thin jumper) or a Norgi shirt. On my legs I wear normal army type or raggata type walking trousers (thick types) and if it is really cold I would fire a pair of long johns underneath. I usually wear any type of thick walking socks and wear army pro gortex boots (jubbly and warm). On the old knapper I would wear a simply wooly hat (the buffalo shirt has its own hood just in case) and on my hands a pair of woolen fingerless gloves covered with a pair of mountain mitts (ski type).

It also depends on what sort of physical activity you are doing, if you are walking across a distance at pace then you will want to keep warm but not too warm and the same if you are performing any degree physical activity i.e chopping wood.

It really depends on what you find most comfortable for you, just dont go spending too much money and fancy gear.

Rhodri

Forager
Nov 12, 2004
Suffolk
If I'm really active I also go for Bufallo. My Special 6 shirt has given me years of faithful service and I've never felt cold in it (only in the UK though). Supposed to be good enough on its own without any underwear down to -15C and I can well believe it. It doesn't seem quite so good if your static though. I generally wear mine with 'modern' high wicking underwear and it's great. Keep meaning to try my Ulfrotte 200g under it but it never seems cold enough!

If I'm sleeping out and sitting around (and don't mind carrying some extra weight) I've started trying to wear natural fibres more. Ulfrotte 200g under Swannie Ranger (if it looks really cold I'll compromise with a Karrimor windbloc fleece type thingy) under double layer ventile parka. Also a good combination but heavy. And too warm to work hard in without shedding layers I find.

Whichever of the above I go for trousers are either heavy surplus things or some Rohan/Columbia type walking trousers. Two pairs of wool socks and heavy 3 or 4 season boots of some kind (weird American things at the moment - Dunham 'Waffle Stompers).

Unfortunately I have no Artic experience yet (must remedy this soon :) ) and aren't sure how the above would cope with 'proper' cold (below -15C or so). Not very well I expect (would at least need an extra layer from the waist down).

I'll be watching this thread with interest too, to learn a bit from our real cold weather cousins.

Cheers,
Rod

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
leatherneck said:
Hello all. This site is amazing and I have found a lot of great bush craft information through the search function. However, I was wondering if you guys could list what sort of clothing you wear during your winter outings (i.e. base layer, mid-layer, outer-layer, wind/rain layer). And it would especially be great to hear from those of you who were taught by Mors Kochanski on how to dress for cold, arctic conditions. I looked at Abbe Osram's site.......... Finland looks beautiful in the winter. Maybe you could also chime in on how to dress for the winter. Once again, great site.
How cold is cold? UK cold I can deal with in army lightweights, a Norgee top, my Devold sweater and in extremes a Nanok Shelter jacket. Norway cold I'd put on ulfrotte top and bottom and the Swanndri Gravity overtrousers, and again the Devold sweater and Nanok Shelter jacket. Real proper cold I'd have the same base layer, but with the thicker type, and one or two layers of down trousers and jacket, and overall in extremes my bearskin. Feet I'd have Scarpa SLs apart from in the real cold, then I'd borrow proper polar boots, such as Kamiks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE