Liquid stoves!

Oct 19, 2012
wiltshire
next year i am hiking/backpacking my way across europe and parts of the middle east and have been looking at a stove to take with me (i will not be staying in any fancy places just in a tent in the great outdoors). i am going on a serious serious budget and at first decided i would have to take a wood stove (swiss volcano stove/mkettle were ideas) but recently i noticed liquid stoves.they burn unleaded petrol which is very widely available, even in the east where camping gas and alcohol is not, and cheap. i need a stove that i can use three times a day for a year and doesn't mind using petrol (or is diesel better?) for all of that trip. so far i looked at

-the MSR XGK ex multi fuel stove
-optimus nova
- primus multi fuel EX
-Coleman sportster ll

please tell me which one you think best suits my needs or whether wood is the way forward. also how often would it need cleaning?
thank you
Ed

jiffi

Nomad
Jun 24, 2010
Castle Douglas, Scotland
I have the msr whisperlite which can be used any where and is switchable between petrol or diesel by changing a jet (easy done) I have used it for 2 weeks solid on a trip and it never blinked once to clean it quickly you turn it upside down and shake it I cannot sing its praises high enough!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've got the Chinese multi-fuel which should run on anything (comes with spare/different jets etc.)

Regarding wood stoves, don't bother - unless you take a woodgas stove (bulky if you want a decent burn time) you're better off just making a small fire or improvising a burner in an old can. The flat pack ones, in my opinion, are not worth it - too fiddly (although solve the problem of pan supports)

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
I have an msr dragonfly which is great but the omnifuel and related omnilite are probably better. But wor what you are saying the only one which maybe able to burn unleaded so long without issue would be the XGK. But then it would be hard to cook gormet, boil and fry, very hard to simmer

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Think I'd go for one of these, with a spare generator and a couple of spare nipples. Simple stove using the common fuels, not much to go wrong, no loose bits. Not too expensive.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Primus Omnifuel, burns liquids and gas. Take spare nipples, pump leathers and the very small fuel line filters and your good to go.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
i have travelled with petrol /multifuel stoves of various kinds but when backpacking it might be as well to remember that most petrol stations will not sell you a small amount (typically no less than 5 litres) which is too much to carry... you may of course be able to offer someone who is buying more to let you top up a bottle and see them right for the difference but its an extra layer of hassle you might do without. if you go down this route it might be worth taking a length of tubing with you to syphon from the tanks of vehicles (having negotiated with the owner to do so of course) Also you mention middle eastern and european travel = hot environment? hot + petrol = vapourisation .petrol vapour can = danger so choose a system with adequate safe storage as in the tank of the stove may not be safest option (unless designed for storage of fuel in transit.) Also air travel -airline may not let you take your stove on board once it has had its first filling of fuel even if emptied. i have heard of refusals even when the owner has never filled it with fuel or even filled the tank with water as a safety measure. same of course goes for any liquid or gas fuel.

Oct 19, 2012
wiltshire
thanks for the advice everyone! so would i be right in saying that the omnilite ti is a good choice? the whisperlite looks good but not quite as robust. im a bit wary about anything Chinese made, i would imagine they are not as reliable (if im wrong please do correct me). i would of course take spare parts with whatever i bought.
ed

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I have the Primus Omnilite and the Omnifuel. They are well made and controllable-right from simmer to full chat. A spares kit is absolutely essential and I'd be taking extra filters and seals too.

If you need to take it on a plane after using petrol, save some gas in a can and use this in liquid fuel form to wash away the petrol/diesel smell ( the Omni's will burn liquid and gaseoes Butane/propane). Vinegar will remove any last traces of residual fuel and from the pump and lines. If you do this, you've done all you can to keep your stove.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The Whisperlite International is a good investment, mine's still going strong after nearly twelve years. I've only ever used unleaded in that time too, the shaker jet works well and keeps it chugging along nicely. I switched to aspen T4 fuel last year and gave the stove a complete strip down and clean for the first time since I got it. The only issue I ever had was putting a crack in the plastic fuel pump housing, I picked up the newer metal pump in Chamonix a couple of years ago and it's been fine ever since.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I have to agree with Rik, Primus has a long pedigree. The Omnilite is very similar to the Omnifuel and so very well testedl-its reliable and parts are easy to source.

I've looked at the Soto and discounted it purely for the pump. 100+ pumps on a half full bottle will quickly get tiring.

The Omnifuel has a proven track record, stick with what you know works.

What he said...

Rik has set fire to more things than I've taken breaths, so he has a broad and deep knowledge of all things "stove".

My favourite stove is the Svea 123 - but's really only a white gas, or panel wipe option. All "multi fuel" stoves are a compromise design and the Primus Omni - variants are the most reliable. If I'm going anywhere where I'm uncertain of the local fuel availability - then I take the Omnifuel.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
In Eastern Europe and the mid-east, oyu may find tha Parrafin/Kerosene may be easily available in the small volumes you will need. Make sure that whichever multifuel stove you get has suitable jetting for kerosine. I recall back in the dark ages usinf various Primus stoves with kerosene and having no problems. Needed to strip and clean quite often. IIRC the Primus 96 was favourite. Broke down and packed in a tin for transport.

Last edited:

rg598

Native
The XGK is pretty much the standard for expeditions from what I have seen. It has a larger vaporization tube than the rest of the stoves, which allows it to burn all sorts of low quality fuels. It is used by the army because they just use the regular vehicle fuel in it. Make sure you get the lowest possible octane when buying gasoline.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE