Lionsteel knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DamaDaz

Mar 30, 2022
South Gloucestershire
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with Lionsteel knives? The b41 seems to be a dedicated bushcraft knife but there appears to be other models that could also be up to the task?

DamaDaz

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with Lionsteel knives? The b41 seems to be a dedicated bushcraft knife but there appears to be other models that could also be up to the task?

DamaDaz
The M4 is one of the best, known as the fallkniven F1 alternative....better ergos and steel. Edge angle needs a little thining out of the box, and then you won't look back.

But you really cannot go wrong with any lionsteel knife

The grail knife, is the Knife Research Rasul in vanadis 23, that is something else, just feels right in the hand.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Just to muddy the waters, the Enzo 95 trapper is one of the best main stream bushcraft blades out there

DamaDaz

Mar 30, 2022
South Gloucestershire
Thanks all for the advice and alternatives.

Yes they do seem to get very good reviews and are very well priced. Would the M390 steel be a tricky one to maintain for a novice sharpener?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hi all,

DamaDaz
I am a great fan of Lionsteel for quality. I have three of their folders and two fixed blades, one of which being the B41 in orange G10. I bought it for several reasons, one of which was to do a review...which still hasn't happened, and as a result I still haven't re-worked the edge angle to something I consider suitable for bushcraft. So, I may not be seeing the knife at its best potential, but I will share my thoughts.

As with most production knives, the edge angle is a bit too steep to really bite wood well, which I consider a key feature of a dedicated bushcraft knife. The edge is also a little thin while the blade stock is a little thick at 3.86mm. For reference, the BCUK Spyderco was 3.5 as is the Benchmade Puukko 200. The thin edge might not be an issue for strength, but it makes for a little less control for feather stick work.

The Sleipner steel in the B41 is hardened to around HRC 61, so that in itself might not be the easiest thing to learn sharpening on. M390 will be more difficult, although with diamond and ceramics it won't be too bad, just that do sharpen it well will require slightly better sharpening gear than would be needed for something softer and/or less abrasion resistant. I might be tempted to buy a Mora along side to practice.

The rounded spine of the Lionsteel is nice on the hands and the ferro rod scraper at the but end does work, although not as easily as a sharp spine. The rounded tang is proud from the scales, but this isn't a problem in itself for comfort.

The scales are very well machined, clearly a lot of care has gone into the shape. I have medium size hands (size 8 to 8.5 glove) and I find the handle a little narrow if I have to do heavy cutting (say you need to bang out four or five feather sticks in quick succession). I find my had gets fatigued more than on thicker handles.

Jury is out on the tip, it is a bit broader than I usually like, more belly near the tip, less point for detail work.

I don't have any doubt that the B41 would be better at things that people are often critical of for the Woodlore type knife. It will cut food better, particularly vegetables, will bite more deeply when used to baton cut green wood. It will be faster to sharpen and should hold an edge better than anything in O-1. It is certainly more stain resistant.

Chris

Reactions: demographic

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
Just to muddy the waters, the Enzo 95 trapper is one of the best main stream bushcraft blades out there
The Enzo Trapper was my first “proper” bushcraft knife, I still love using it but I do find the handle a tad small for my size 10 hands. I use DMT diamond whetstones to sharpen it, they do a great job.

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
Brilliant knives. I recently posted my thoughts on the T5.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
I own the Lionsteel M4 in M390 - a belter of a knife in both use, edge holding and ergonomics. Team it up with a Mora carver and you have covered all cases.

As with all my knives - I sharpen mine with a cheap cardboard/sandpaper combi and a strop. Nothing to it.

The B41 will be a performer as well, no doubt about it.

DamaDaz

Mar 30, 2022
South Gloucestershire
I own the Lionsteel M4 in M390 - a belter of a knife in both use, edge holding and ergonomics. Team it up with a Mora carver and you have covered all cases.

As with all my knives - I sharpen mine with a cheap cardboard/sandpaper combi and a strop. Nothing to it.

The B41 will be a performer as well, no doubt about it.
Nice! Since my original post, I too am the proud owner of a M4 in M390 steel. Micarta handle feels amazing in a number of different grips. I love it! Not tried to sharpen it yet but I understand due the steel hardness it could take a while.

Reactions: mikehill

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Nice! Since my original post, I too am the proud owner of a M4 in M390 steel. Micarta handle feels amazing in a number of different grips. I love it! Not tried to sharpen it yet but I understand due the steel hardness it could take a while.
Hardness, but also carbides type and volume. Not so much a problem with diamond or ceramic sharpeners, merely slow and inefficient with standard Japanese water stones, but the old Arkansas oil stones have real problems with high carbide steels. Even the basic chrome carbides are harder than the abrasive grains that make up the stone, leading to the stone becoming glazed and polished.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE