Link: basic carpentry and everything else!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kitharode

Forager
May 16, 2016
Todmorden
Brilliant, but not quite 'everything else'. I didn't see "A Beginners Guide to Knitting With Fog"!! :cool: Thanks for posting this. I've grabbed a couple of items already and I'm only a quarter of the way down the list.

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
With that lot I don't think you need "fog knitting"! There's enough information there to keep you entertained for a life time almost!

It's amazing what you find on the internet when trying to find out if your parents builder has hung a braced and ledged door the right way round (incidentally nothing yet on that link has answered my question)

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
With that lot I don't think you need "fog knitting"! There's enough information there to keep you entertained for a life time almost!

It's amazing what you find on the internet when trying to find out if your parents builder has hung a braced and ledged door the right way round (incidentally nothing yet on that link has answered my question)
Show me a picture and I'll tell you mate...
It's hard to explain but I'll try...
The brace should go from the hinge side diagonally up! To the closing edge of the door ...
So, on the braces side, if hinges are on the left , the topmost corner of the brace should be on the top right hand corner (lock side).
Hope it helps

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Like so bud...

Correct
9e5c85e5c8725ba85c5877c69770af11.jpg

Correct

319c2c2c43189c1ee15461ad3c8380c3.jpg

Wrong

55f1590efce5cd0991f379d62642cd79.jpg

Wrong

a2d8a98e2d0648174e9b1bb0105e82a6.jpg

The diagonal serves to stop the lock side from "sagging" , regardless of its right hung or left hung ...

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's a big advantage to screwing up and allowing the gates to sag.
Nobody can slam them shut and bust up the latch.
You gotta stand there and hook your toe under the gate, lift and latch.
No muss, no fuss and very peaceful and quiet.
I have 3 gates which almost work properly. Hell can freeze over before I fix them.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
There's a big advantage to screwing up and allowing the gates to sag.
Nobody can slam them shut and bust up the latch.
You gotta stand there and hook your toe under the gate, lift and latch.
No muss, no fuss and very peaceful and quiet.
I have 3 gates which almost work properly. Hell can freeze over before I fix them.
😂😂😂.........

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
Show me a picture and I'll tell you mate...
It's hard to explain but I'll try...
The brace should go from the hinge side diagonally up! To the closing edge of the door ...
So, on the braces side, if hinges are on the left , the topmost corner of the brace should be on the top right hand corner (lock side).
Hope it helps

Yup, understand and helps. Dad comes from carpentry stock and was arguing with the guy who thought it was preference. He is of your opinion. So I was trying to find something to back up the argument. It's simple mechanics really! And you want the brace joints under compression.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Yup, understand and helps. Dad comes from carpentry stock and was arguing with the guy who thought it was preference. He is of your opinion. So I was trying to find something to back up the argument. It's simple mechanics really! And you want the brace joints under compression.
Yes, brace joints under compression is the idea... 👍

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE