Lincolnshire

EdS

Just sat thinking of places to visit next year for easy bimbling around that wit ha few hours of here.

I've never really been to deepest darkest Lincolnshire (except bit of NE Lincs.) so where is worth visiting and what is there to do, to get a taste of county.

Trying to keep the cost down so campsites would be handy.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Theres some great salt marsh for samphire and wading birds along the Wash Ed.

There is also my cottage which sadly isn't a camp site but will offer a mug (or glass) of refreshment.

Red

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Like Red said, the salt marshes of the Wash are an area to visit and are a forgotten corner of the British Isles. I've trudged through the marshes between the Welland and the Ouse with my father, whilst shooting, more times than I care to remember and I can safely say that the marsh is, for me at least, one of the few places you one can truly feel alone in what many people consider a barren, lifeless and useless peripheral environment. Likewise, it can be a pretty deadly place if you're unsure of your whereabouts as one mudflat or sandbank pretty much looks like the last one. The creeks fill up rapidly with water, and can make a relatively easy outward journey an awfully dangerous return journey.

I still marvel at the juxtaposition of the wilderness of the marsh, against the engineered flood defences protecting the intensively farmed fields behind....there's something remarkable and bleak about this 'frontier' between man and nature.

Even Sir Peter Scott loved the marshes so much, he moved into one of the lighthouses at Sutton Bridge!

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
If youre looking for some pretty interesting woodland to spend a few hours, maybe try Woodhall Spa, along the Viking Way trail heading towards Horncastle. I have spent many hours there watching the deer, pheasant, owls, bunnies and even foxes, whilst practicing skills.

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
i can vouch for woodhall, loads of beautiful woodland. The wolds are also stunning and well worth a look. Theres also the vale of belvoir and belton park in mid lincs. To be honest we've got lovely, open country everywhere you look:)

Last edited:

EdS

The Salt Marshes sound like a plan - it will mae a change from hills. Marshes/Fen/ and tradition coppice is what I'm thinking. Thought I'd visit one of the forgotten corners adn have a look at a land scape that is not fell and dale for a change.

Just need to sort out some dates. Feb maybe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE