Lincolnshire Circular Bog Formations.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
On the few times that I've managed to get out and about here in Lincolnshire, I've noticed a few unusual, isolated bogs. They are generally round in shape, with trees around the outside and shrubs, scrub and marsh plants in the middle. There's nothing like this at home in Cumbria, and I'm wondering what the local word is for them, and how they're formed.
I've read a description of something similar in Canada, in one of the books by Sigurd Ohlson. He describes how farmers came along and chopped down trees to make farmland, and drained the muskeg. Sometimes, the only trace of the wild land that was once there would be a circular remnant of bog, surrounded by trees. This could only be drained by explosives, cracking the underlying rock that prevented free drainage.
Are these formations the last remnants of the marsh and bog that once bordered the River Trent, before the land was drained by the many cuts?

Cheers, Michael.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Hi,
Possibly - but there were lots of flight ponds dug for duck/wildfowl hunting in Lincs in days gone by which have largely disappeared or got silted up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE