Limpits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
anyone else eaten them? cooking adivce? any other help full info..??

i put some one on the fire today after removing them from their shels and taking out the black stomach leaving a the yellow muscle.. the taste is really not bad but there were some bits of shell still on it and this didnt do much for the eating experience but they were quite nice and i will eat them again!?

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
i drop them in boiling water usally with mussles and peri winkles and the odd squat lobster humm gorgeous
and if i am really lucky i will find a few scallops and quenies but thats when i am scuba diveing

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
We used to eat them as kids , pry it of the rock , scoop out the inards . throw the guts and tuck straight into the foot . tasted lemoney
Pumbaa

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
If I remember rightly, limpets eat the algae by scraping it off the rock, so they're probably a safer bet than filter feeders ilke mussels and oysters in wam weather.

I've seen a cousin pry them off the rocks and eat them raw out of the shell, but they seem too rubbery for me.

I take a big limpet off the rock, cut it from its shell and use smallish cubes (1/4", 5mm) as bait on small hooks. Limpet flesh would probably make good bait for shrimp, lobster and crab pots.

Keith.

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
I find the old limpets a little too chewy for me (and bland) but as others have suggested if you make them part of a seafood meal then they are not too bad. I also prefer too boil them (raw only if very hungry or want to give it a go) rather than a quick roasting on a fire as is softens them a little. I then fry the limpets with lots of garlic, onion and a few select herbs/salad (should be enough around you).
As for baiting, I use them on a hand cast line to fish for Rass (brightly coloured fish with sharp fish that pick them off the rocks). The problem with Rass, they are like eels and limpets, a required taste but not too bad if mixed with other ingredients.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
lardbloke said:
As for baiting, I use them on a hand cast line to fish for Rass (brightly coloured fish with sharp fish that pick them off the rocks). The problem with Rass, they are like eels and limpets, a required taste but not too bad if mixed with other ingredients.

Like this?

WRASS.JPG

Keith.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
i have always found wrasse to be a bit boney for my own tastes, but limpets are great, try cooking them the Ray Mears way, place the limpets on a flat rock and cover them over with embers from your fire, i find they are cooked to my taste when the shell can be removed with little or no resistance - remove the black ball and munch away - scrumptious, i also cook mussellsand cockles by placing them in the sand hinge side up and cover them with the embers - wonderful

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
I think that is one Keith, there are only a few varieties of wrasse, rainbow etc.

You will all have to forgive my appalling spelling/grammer from time to time, there are no excuses with modern technology, but I (try) to touch type and cannot spell for toffy.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
lardbloke said:
You will all have to forgive my appalling spelling/grammer from time to time, there are no excuses with modern technology, but I (try) to touch type and cannot spell for toffy.

I think you'll find that's "toffee" ;) ;) :D

Jan 31, 2005
Germany
I cook the limpits by letting them attach to a rock first and then cook them on the fire. But, be careful of the rocks you use cos they can explode, which is fun!

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
lardbloke said:
lol.................gotcha

:D :D :D :D

We used to collect limpets for bait in Fife. We would compete to see who was skilled enough to remove them from rocks with just their bare hands - no prying, kicking, etc. Now that is real practice for walking stealthily. Otherwise they know you're coming and stick harder!

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
As Lardbloke has said good for wrasse.
I have not had much luck with catching any other fish with limpits. Thats not saying it is impossible as i have had pollock, mackrel and an eel off the top of my head But when you have mates around you catching 10 fish to your one and they are just using foil :rolleyes:
Have also stuck a load into my pots with mot much success.
I suppose you could bait your pots with limpits to catch a small wrasse then use the wrasse to catch some crab, not tried it though.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
ilovemybed said:
:D :D :D :D

We used to collect limpets for bait in Fife. We would compete to see who was skilled enough to remove them from rocks with just their bare hands - no prying, kicking, etc. Now that is real practice for walking stealthily. Otherwise they know you're coming and stick harder!
I think the best thing to use is one of those oyster knives - they have a slight curve and are very thin so ideal to get under the shell.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
No need to scratch up a good knife on the rocks! Just a gentle knock with your foot. There's a specific measurement for how hard: not quite as hard as you'd like to kick your boss. It is important to catch the limpet by surprise and dislodge it first time or it'll be holding on for dear life and you'll just stub your toe on the second kick, smash it into bits or send it flying off into the stands like a Jonny Wilkinson conversion...

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
As a member of The Limpet Liberation Front (the only one so far) I find all this talk about kicking an knives quite distressing cant you just talk to them nicely and ask them in a civilised tone to get into the pot.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
ilovemybed said:
No need to scratch up a good knife on the rocks! Just a gentle knock with your foot. There's a specific measurement for how hard: not quite as hard as you'd like to kick your boss. It is important to catch the limpet by surprise and dislodge it first time or it'll be holding on for dear life and you'll just stub your toe on the second kick, smash it into bits or send it flying off into the stands like a Jonny Wilkinson conversion...
The knife is for the hanging-on-for-dear life bit... they're only about 2 quid so I wouldn't worry about damaging it ;)

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
bloodline said:
As a member of The Limpet Liberation Front (the only one so far) I find all this talk about kicking an knives quite distressing cant you just talk to them nicely and ask them in a civilised tone to get into the pot.
Maybe we should instigate a revolution in the limpets, give them all mini red flags, pro-bucket propaganda and statues of Trotsky and they will start a coup, disown the rock and jump nicely into the bucket. :D

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Limpets are good just turned upside down on the embers of your fire until the juices start to bubble furiously (2 mins roughly) any longer and they become hard, any less and they are still rubbery. I've found cooked in boiling water they stay rubbery. Maybe I'm just fussy. Remove them from the rocks by getting the tip of your knife under the shell and twisting before they realise you are there. (you have to be quick but you can still get them off after they clamp, it's just harder)Very easy to gather a potful in a short space of time. On a recent trip to Eweleaze farm campsite (they allow fires but are only open during August) I fished for mackeral from the beach (caught 2) and collected Winkles and limpets and grilled the mackeral over my fire, cooked the limpets as described above and added them to noodles after cooking - very yummy. The winkles need to be soaked in fresh water overnight so they spit out all the gunk. If you place a metal object in the water with the winkles (such as a knife) they spit out the gunk better. I don't know why this is but it's a tip for all shellfish I picked up in Japan and the amount of seafood they eat I suppose they should know

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE