Limpets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I have old recipes for what we would now called stews, but contain things like whole wee birds, hares, and oysters, all cooked in a lidded cauldron, I wonder if cooking the limpets and then letting them stew would end up relaxing the muscle (which is really all it is that's edible) enough to stop it being like a wee dod of rubber.
I’m guessing that people used to put up with a great deal more rubbery bits in order to get enough protein…not like us modern softies.

Reactions: Tor helge and Toddy

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I’ve eaten and thoroughly enjoyed plenty of raw oysters but the idea of eating raw limpets never appealed to me
I've eaten both raw but isn't it the other way around? Oysters filter the water whatever unpleasantries are in it whereas limpets graze algae so are less of a risk to eat raw.

Reactions: gg012 and SaraR

Myster

May 25, 2023
Lake District
This takes me back a bit, as a lad I used to collect Limpets and Cuvvins (or Winkles) with my dad. Brought home in hessian sacks and dumped in a big pan of boiling water on the cooker. Then used to sit on the back step and enjoy. Let's just say the Limpets could be a bit on the chewy side!

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
I have old recipes for what we would now called stews, but contain things like whole wee birds, hares, and oysters, all cooked in a lidded cauldron, I wonder if cooking the limpets and then letting them stew would end up relaxing the muscle (which is really all it is that's edible) enough to stop it being like a wee dod of rubber.
U could leach all the nutrition in to the stew n Chuck the limpits prob take hours though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE