Lime needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I only have access to public lime trees on the high street.

I often get odd bits of fibre from fallen branches that have weathered while dead for a few months. Then the fibre easily separates but is of variable quality. Earlier this year I obtained a number of live sticks. No sign of the fibre at all - just solid bark. When I soaked it for a couple of months the fibre began to be released.

How do you plan to get the fibre out of the bark? I suspect there are much quicker ways than I know about.

directdrive

Forager
Oct 22, 2005
USA
Hi, Stickie: I have a question regarding the "lime" bark. Is this the same lime tree typically found in tropical climates and which bears a green fruit of the same name? I didn't think such lime trees would grow in the UK climate. Thanks.....Bruce

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Different trees,
Our 'Lime' is Tilia cordata, vulgaris or platyphyllus, whereas the wee green fruity one is a Citrus Aurantifolia. Our lime is sometimes called Linden too.

Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Stickie said:
Toddy - thanks for answering that question.

rich59 - I only know the soaking/retting way of getting the fibres. I'd sure be interested to hear of an alternative way.

*Supposedly* the retting process can be speeded up a bit by soaking the bark in something mildly alkali...bicarbonate of soda or ammonia added to the water ought to work, but caustic soda ( :eek: ) diluted *way down* ought to do it too. Heaven knows how you'd judge the mixture, though (dunno shrug).
You could maybe have a go and let us all know how you got on :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
I noticed that my local council were cutting trees down round by me, many of them lime, as they had become too big and were damaging the pavements. I wrote to them asking if I could be informed about any lime trees soon to come down so I could strip bark of them. I suppose it was a reasonable if unusual request, but they never replied. :(

Pappa

Sep 30, 2005
Pappa said:
I noticed that my local council were cutting trees down round by me, many of them lime, as they had become too big and were damaging the pavements. I wrote to them asking if I could be informed about any lime trees soon to come down so I could strip bark of them. I suppose it was a reasonable if unusual request, but they never replied. :(

Pappa

They can only dispose of waste to liscenced waste handlers, personally I don't see it as waste unless you don't use it but I think the law says otherwise! :banghead:

Keefy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE