Lime Bark Cordage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 6, 2006
Ireland
This is my first post here so Hi.

I just read the article in the magazine (and online again) about lime bark cordage and perhaps it's just me but could someone clarify.

When you strip the inner bark do you retain and soak;

1) just the outer bark
2) just the inner bark
3) both the inner and outer bark

Might seem obvious to some but the article is not clear???

Cheers
MM

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Hi manicmonkey and welcome to BCUK

I agree with mod user it's the inner bark you want you can also use willow if you can find it and later on in the season you can use the outer skin of nettle.

why don't you say hello in the introduction and welcomes forum

James

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
When I've proceesed Lime bark, I didn't separate the inner and outer bark when I removed it from the wood.
I put the bark into a slow running stream for a month and when I came to collect it, the inner bark fibres pulled away from the outer easily. I threw the outer bark away.

Be warned - when the bark is soaked it gets stinky and slimey!

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
Just to clarify a couple of points about the article in Bushcraft mag - first off I'd like to point out that my articles are only simple "how to" guides and don't contain a lot of detail. Also the article in the magazine was pretty limited for space.

As has been pointed out, it is the inner bark that is utilised for cordage and barkcraft.

Many sources quote a 4 week soak-time to break down the structure of the inner bark to produce fibrous layers, but it has been my experience that this can be extremely variable and is dependant upon such things as bark thickness, water temperature and time of year. I would therefore be very reluctant to say that one time suits all situations, but I have found that 8 weeks generally does the job. Saying this, I had a batch last year that took over 4 months. Stripping the outer bark off prior to soaking does help to speed up the process.

As I always re-iterate, there is usually more than one way to reach any goal, which is why I encourage others to experiment for themselves. :)

Hope this helps.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
There is a lot of info on this thread:

Preparing and Using Bast

Including this useful quote:
Manufacture of lime bast cordage in northern Europe has been an unbroken tradition from the Mesolithic (9000–3000 BC) to the present day. The cordage was usually manufactured by stripping off the bark of lime trees in midsummer, submerging it in water to dissociate the adjacent bast layers, and then peeling off the outer bark and separating the bast layers in narrow bands. The bast bands were then spun to make cords, which in turn were twisted to cordage. Lime bast cordage is characterized by pliability, low specific weight, low extensibility and limited water absorbance. While the strength is superior to bast cordage of other European trees, particularly in wet conditions, it is susceptible to wear, has less strength than cordage of hemp and nylon, for example, and requires laborious manufacture. The skills required for making lime bast cordage are rare at present, but increased interest in natural fibre products might safeguard and revitalize the craft for the future.
The correct term for the inner bark (in this context) is 'bast'

Match posted a link to a wonderfully detailed and illustrated guide to this here:

Making Basswood Twine

Basswood is the common name for Lime in the USA.

Good luck!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE