Lightweight Overnighter

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Managed to squeeze a quick overnighter in one of my favourite valleys in the Lakes this weekend, not particularly bushcrafty but I wanted to get out and test some new kit. I've been getting back into the hills again this year so I've been slowly putting together some lightweight gear again after selling all my old stuff when I got into bushcraft shenanigans.
I met up with Tony (Peterlee_Paddler) around lunchtime on Saturday and took the easy 4.5 mile trail round to a stealthy camp site I knew about. I'm still not 100% and didn't fancy any big hills this weekend so I planned a nice flat route along the shoreline instead. We didn't get up to much apart from exploring the surroundings and chilling out around camp, we decided to have a fire later on so we went foraging for dead standing in one of the plantations nearby. We used an old fire scar and sat by the fire sipping Jura for an hour, by 11 o'clock we were both pretty knackered so called it a day.

Some pics ...

DSC03196P.jpg

My new Trailstar tarp shelter, with an annoyingly close young pine, I didn't have a clue how big the footprint was going to be
DSC03197P.jpg

A palace for one
DSC03201P.jpg

Tony getting set up
DSC03200P.jpg

I've not seen the water as low as this for a long time, parts of the old village were starting to appear in places. It happens quite regularly I think but I always seem to miss it.
DSC03203P.jpg

DSC03202P.jpg

DSC03204P.jpg

DSC03208P.jpg

DSC03205P.jpg

DSC03206P.jpg

One of the local Reds had been down for a drink recently
DSC03207P.jpg

DSC03209P.jpg

A nice relaxed night under the stars, cheers for coming along Tony

Kit list for those interested ...

ULA CDT Pack
MLD Trailstar tarp shelter and pegs
MLD Superlight Bivvy
UKHammocks summer top quilt
TAR NeoAir short mat
TAR inflatable sit mat
Polycryo groundsheeet
Mini Atomic stove
Titanium pot
Caldera Cone
4oz of meths
Gore-tex paclite waterproof jacket and trews
Montane Windshirt
Rab Generator vest
Cap
1L rollup water bottle
Drinksafe Supalite gravity filter bag
Long handled ti spoon
2 x dehydrated meals
Peppered Beef sandwiches, chocolate raisins & biscuits
Brew kit (Kenco 3-in-1, Bovril stock cubes, Galaxy drinking chocolate, cherry KoolAid for cold drinks)
Camera
Ipod
Torch
Gerber mini tool
FAK
1L drinking water for walk in
Gsi hip flask containing a nip of Jura Superstition
Pacer Poles

Total weight = 7.3kgs

Last edited:

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Are you sure that was big Tony that was walking with you ? cos i have only ever seen him walking from his car to his canoe !:lmao::lmao:

Jason

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Are you sure that was big Tony that was walking with you ? cos i have only ever seen him walking from his car to his canoe !:lmao::lmao:

Jason

yeah he was definitely there bud, I got some great tales about you and Col, mostly Col to be honest :)

Canoe capsizing and Col's new walking technique come to mind :D

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Great pics as always, I'm still not convinced that you don't have a photographer following you around!

Looks like a good trip mate, I'm lovin' the MLD tarp-gotta have a crack at a copy.

Thanks for sharing mate.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great pics as always, I'm still not convinced that you don't have a photographer following you around!

Looks like a good trip mate, I'm lovin' the MLD tarp-gotta have a crack at a copy.

Thanks for sharing mate.

Cheers mate, let me know if you want the measurements at some point. There's a thread knocking about somewhere on BPL of somebody trying to copy it, some good tips about getting the angles right from what I remember. I think they just started with five equally sized panels which didn't work too well, eventually they cracked it though.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Cheers mate, let me know if you want the measurements at some point. There's a thread knocking about somewhere on BPL of somebody trying to copy it, some good tips about getting the angles right from what I remember. I think they just started with five equally sized panels which didn't work too well, eventually they cracked it though.

That would be ace bud, I like the shape for a ground tarp. This maybe the push I need to eventually sign up on BPL :)

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
That looks fantastic Rich , i have been dreaming of getting back into my hillwalking days for some time maybe one day ! You can get amazing camp spots on the hills as you have there buddy nice one .

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Trailstar looks good, Rich. Thanks for posting.

TP; I've been thinking about a copy for a while; a regular hexagon of 7' side with one panel removed looks like it might be a reasonable starting point. Try a scale paper model of this and see what you think.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That looks fantastic Rich , i have been dreaming of getting back into my hillwalking days for some time maybe one day ! You can get amazing camp spots on the hills as you have there buddy nice one .

I think there's quite a few of us getting back into it again bud, all those lazy evenings sat round a fire eating and drinking is catching up with us. I've missed getting the miles in a camping up high so I've made a bit of an effort again this year.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I think there's quite a few of us getting back into it again bud, all those lazy evenings sat round a fire eating and drinking is catching up with us. I've missed getting the miles in a camping up high so I've made a bit of an effort again this year.
I,ve missed it too bud that is what i was into for years before bushcraft and canoeing ,i hardley walk the length of myself now:eek:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Trailstar looks good, Rich. Thanks for posting.

TP; I've been thinking about a copy for a while; a regular hexagon of 7' side with one panel removed looks like it might be a reasonable starting point. Try a scale paper model of this and see what you think.

Glad you like the pics Ian

I think I read in that thread on BPL that the guy used a flat hexagon to start with but it wouldn't pitch right. When it's laid down flat there seems to be a lot more fabric in the centre, almost like a witches hat if that makes sense.

I reckon sil nylon is best suited if you're gonna try one Pete, it needs a certain amount of stretch to pitch well. Some folk have asked Ron at MLD if he'll make a cuben version but he says it wont work due to the lack of stretch.

I'll try and find out the weight of the material if I can

johnnyneuro

Jan 5, 2007
Cambridge
Does Tony have a Solar? Love that tent, but then I would say that as I've got one.

Out of interest, how would your tarp, groundsheet and bivvy compare weight wise with the Solar?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE