Lightweight Hammock/Tarp Setup Recomendations

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Just looking for some recommendations for alternatives to my current setup as I am thinking of maybe changing for lighter versions. I currently have the DD Travel Hammock (930g before webbing/clips etc) and the DD 3x3 Tarp (790g).

I am looking to shed some kit weight and also make them more compact for pack and so far like the look of Snugpak Jungle Hammock as it also has a bug net like the Travel hammock but only ways 790g all in with webbing/clips etc and packs down nice aswell. I know I will be losing the bivvie functionality but dont think I will be using it anyway.

Does anybody have any other alternatives to the Travel/Jungle Hammock and DD 3x3 Tarp?

TIA.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Have a look on ukhammocks you could shed quite a bit of weight but it won't be cheap. Woodsman X hammock double layer (£125) weighs 780 grams, single layer (£115) is only 480 grams, I've got the double layer and its very comfortable and the bug net stashes away nicely for when its not needed.

Tarp wise there are lighter options but its the best and most versatile - Warbonnet Superfly weighs in at 538 grams but its perfect for all weathers and having the doors is really nice to stop cold breezes, but it is £95 and you have to be really quick to grab one from ukhammocks when they come in.

Thats my set up anyway, not cheap but superb quality, lightweight and packs small.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
I have an ENO singlenest and its fantastic. Packs down to nothing. If you get the eno atlas straps as well you have a great lightweight hammock that you can put up in literally 1 minute. The down side is they are only available from the US (unless you catch one on eBay) so can be pricey. Eagle Nest Outfitters check em out.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
superfly and blackbird for me. About 1250g total. Superfly is a stunning tarp and the footbox setup onj the blackbird gives me unrivaled comfort when compared to my DD hammock

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I use homemade hammocks. My lightest is 80g, my main user is 300g; a single layer Pertex 4. Hammocks are actually dead easy to make-easier than a stuff sack. Add one of these to a Warbonnet superfly and use a CCF mat and your sub kilo for the lot with insane comfort.

Only in scotland do I now use a bug net and then only from march to sept.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
1.1SL Blackbird and Hammock Gear 4 season cuben tarp, about as light as I can go with bug protection and decent cover ...

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I second the woodsman x and superfly combo. Very comfortable all weather setup. Also the whole lot packs smaller then a dd hammock on its own!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE